Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Non law degree for good law career prospects Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yh basically, I want to do a law degree at uni but only at 4 particular unis. If I don’t meet my offer for these unis, **** clearing I’m just gonna do a different degree altogether. I was wondering, seeing as 50% of lawyers , even in the magic circle, do not hold law degrees, what would be a good degree to do as an alternative and would still leave me open to opportunities to magic circle firms and the likes. Ideally I want to do law undergraduate but If not , it is what it is.
    Thanks in advance for any responses

Btw I do : History, Business and Sociology A level and I honestly love each of my subjects equally

ReputationRep:
    You can do a degree in a lot of subjects and then do a law conversion course afterwards. A lot of people I knew who did humanities took this route. You can find something that you enjoy and get a good degree, and then do a law conversion course. It is also a good idea to get some related work experience as well.

ReputationRep:
    What four universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaveyOmar)
    Yh basically, I want to do a law degree at uni but only at 4 particular unis. If I don’t meet my offer for these unis, **** clearing I’m just gonna do a different degree altogether. I was wondering, seeing as 50% of lawyers , even in the magic circle, do not hold law degrees, what would be a good degree to do as an alternative and would still leave me open to opportunities to magic circle firms and the likes. Ideally I want to do law undergraduate but If not , it is what it is.

Btw I do : History, Business and Sociology A level and I honestly love each of my subjects equally
    A degree you enjoy then, like History or maybe Business and Management
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My cousin's friend got a 1st class honours in his history degree and is now doing an internship with a law firm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    What four universities?

I’m predicted ABB so Warwick(contextual), Exeter ,Leeds and Kent

ReputationRep:

Relative a trainee in the MC ; they did an English degree ( Oxbridge ) . You are right in that a huge number of MC lawyers did not do a law degree . Amongst other trainees there are History , Medicine and Physics , however , most are from Oxbridge . Do something you will love and do well at . Worth mentioning that the MC usually have an AAB ‘A’ level cut off point .

ReputationRep:
    What four universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albcat28)
    Relative a trainee in the MC ; they did an English degree ( Oxbridge ) . You are right in that a huge number of MC lawyers did not do a law degree . Amongst other trainees there are History , Medicine and Physics , however , most are from Oxbridge . Do something you will love and do well at . Worth mentioning that the MC usually have an AAB ‘A’ level cut off point .
    Yh the statistics say that around 50% of mc associates are oxbridge graduates but I think of that 50% the majority are non law degree holders 😒
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Pretty much anything as long as it isn’t seen as something questionable.

History, Languages, Politics are the usual type of degrees you see in non law cohorts. But that’s because they apply more than other degree subjects. I’ve recruited everything from Sport Science and Music, through to Physics and Engineering grads.

It really won’t matter what your degree is in really.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Why only them? Wait, do you have these offers?

ReputationRep:
    Why only them? Wait, do you have these offers?
    The reasons are specific to myself but mainly those 4 because of career prospects and location(not so much tho)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.