Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm currently studying HNC applied biology and i'm in abit of a dilemma about progression.

I want to get onto the second or third year of biomedical science degree which is accreditted by IBMS.

I'm currently contemplating to going on to do the HND in applied biology as well if i can get onto the third year of biomed.

I've read on here brighton university accept students direct onto 2nd or 3rd year is that correct? what other universities accept students with HNC/HND applied biology onto biomed.

I did study BSC Foundation entry science which allowed me to go direct onto year 1 of biomed at uclan and even got offered the place, however i decided againest it due to commuting 5 days a week as i'm a mature student and working and saving money etc( I'm open to residing away for a year or 2 if i get accepted)

Should i continue onto HND applied biology? or should I go to 2nd year of biomedical science?

I would like your suggestions or recommendations preferably from someone whose been through this route

thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saqqy2k8)
    Hi guys

I'm currently studying HNC applied biology and i'm in abit of a dilemma about progression.

I want to get onto the second or third year of biomedical science degree which is accreditted by IBMS.

I'm currently contemplating to going on to do the HND in applied biology as well if i can get onto the third year of biomed.

I've read on here brighton university accept students direct onto 2nd or 3rd year is that correct? what other universities accept students with HNC/HND applied biology onto biomed.

I did study BSC Foundation entry science which allowed me to go direct onto year 1 of biomed at uclan and even got offered the place, however i decided againest it due to commuting 5 days a week as i'm a mature student and working and saving money etc( I'm open to residing away for a year or 2 if i get accepted)

Should i continue onto HND applied biology? or should I go to 2nd year of biomedical science?

I would like your suggestions or recommendations preferably from someone whose been through this route

thanks
    It'll be easier to get somewhere to accept you into year 2, than into year 3 so i d suggest trying to get into year 2 entry now.

ReputationRep:
    It is worth noting that there may be complications in regards to IBMS accreditation with this that you should most definitely enquire about.

IBMS accreditation is granted to a degree based on the modules that it contains, if you're jumping in at Year 2 then you've missed a year of modules and if your Applied Biology does not fill the gaps then you'll fall short of the accreditation. I'd even go as far to say as maybe enquire direct with the IBMS as lecturer's and universities are often short on knowledge on these areas since the IBMS is only relevant if you want to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist. If you don't then all this doesn't matter, but it will mean in the future if you decide to do that then top-up modules are required.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advise

I would like/love to work in the NHS however its not set in stone, I've heard its really hard to get in as a biomedical scientist and the opportunities are a few and you would be doing the same job as a lab assistant? so basically you have to babysit the lab assistants? so I'm not really bothered about the IBMS accreditation at the moment (like you said I would have to top-up on some modules which i'm open to in the future if need be)

I've read on here brighton university take on people with applied biology into year 2/3 of biomed is that true? should I contact them?

i've contacted bradford,leeds and coventry and they have replied that i need to provide them transcripts and course content of hnc/hnd applied biology to map it to see if i've covered the modules and if i would need to further take any other modules. I haven't even finished the course i'm currently on so i don't know how i'm going to provide a transcript

does anyone have experience with recognition of prior learning process to get onto year 2/3 of biomed degree?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advise

I would like/love to work in the NHS however its not set in stone, I've heard its really hard to get in as a biomedical scientist and the opportunities are a few and you would be doing the same job as a lab assistant? so basically you have to babysit the lab assistants? so I'm not really bothered about the IBMS accreditation at the moment (like you said I would have to top-up on some modules which i'm open to in the future if need be)

I've read on here brighton university take on people with applied biology into year 2/3 of biomed is that true? should I contact them?

i've contacted bradford,leeds and coventry and they have replied that i need to provide them transcripts and course content of hnc/hnd applied biology to map it to see if i've covered the modules and if i would need to further take any other modules. I haven't even finished the course i'm currently on so i don't know how i'm going to provide a transcript

does anyone have experience with recognition of prior learning process to get onto year 2/3 of biomed degree?
    If that's what you think a biomedical scientist does then I suggest you go away and do some research. Most aren't correct but that's the furthest away from what we do that I've yet to hear.

ReputationRep:
    I've done plenty of research and I know exactly what a biomedical scientists job should be, whether that is a reality in nhs setting i don't know, i'm stating what i've read on here from people (daniel or whatever his name is whinging about biomed being a waste of time post) that your job role would be same as a lab assistant in the nhs whether that is true or not I don't know as I don't work for nhs, maybe it just him crying about not getting a job in the industry.

ReputationRep:
    I've done plenty of research and I know exactly what a biomedical scientists job should be, whether that is a reality in nhs setting i don't know, i'm stating what i've read on here from people (daniel or whatever his name is whinging about biomed being a waste of time post) that your job role would be same as a lab assistant in the nhs whether that is true or not I don't know as I don't work for nhs, maybe it just him crying about not getting a job in the industry.
    So straight off, first sentence. 'whether that is a reality in a NHS setting'.

A Biomedical Scientist is protected title and those that refer to themselves as Biomedical Scientist's just because they're scientists and have a BSc in Biomedical Science (yes, I know a few) are actually breaking the law. A Biomedical Scientist works in healthcare laboratories, full stop.

I replied on my phone but I'm now on my laptop so I'll tell you exactly why a Biomedical Scientist role is completely different to that of a Medical Laboratory Assistant. We'll take the Biochemistry laboratories as a case study. What do the MLA's do in Biochemistry? Sample receipt. What do the BMS' do? Process samples via automation and manual testing and technical validation. Do you think an MLA paid £15k would be allowed to make the judgement on whether a TSH of 10 and FT4 of 1.8 is significant and whether he can release the result? Whether a potassium result of 8 is a real result or whether it's pseudohyperkalaemia caused by EDTA contamination?

Let's switch to Microbiology. Do you think an MLA would be allowed to read plates and identify bacteria, decide whether it is significant in the isolated site and then release the result therefore directly affecting the patient experience?

Becoming a Biomedical Scientist is pretty darn easy when you know what you're doing in which case you can get there by the age of 21. People get bitter because they ballsed up, probably did a degree that isn't even IBMS accredited and did not do any pre-degree research into what their career actually required.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you're talking about however people on here confused me because they were claiming mla and biomed job roles were more or less the same thing, as I read different description on the NHS and few other sites.
    So you're saying I should go for the ibms accredited biomed instead of the non accredited?

Wouldn't it be easier to get onto the non accredited biomedical and then get it accredited as it would give me more choices of universities and easier to get onto year 2/3, however if I can somehow get onto ibms accredited uni that would be even better

Hnc applied biology and year 1 biomedical science have almost Identical modules so I don't want to be starting back from year 1, if I have to top up on a few modules after to get it accredited then I'm fine with that option as well

Unfortunately I can't waste anymore time as I'm a mature student.

Since you're in the biomedical science field, you wouldn't know how I could get some volunteering work or shadow biomedical scientists?as it would help towards my application to get onto biomed degree due to prior knowledge and experience, I've tried emailing NHS however they just keep sending me in cirles

ReputationRep:
    I know what you're talking about however people on here confused me because they were claiming mla and biomed job roles were more or less the same thing, as I read different description on the NHS and few other sites.
    So you're saying I should go for the ibms accredited biomed instead of the non accredited?

Wouldn't it be easier to get onto the non accredited biomedical and then get it accredited as it would give me more choices of universities and easier to get onto year 2/3, however if I can somehow get onto ibms accredited uni that would be even better

Hnc applied biology and year 1 biomedical science have almost Identical modules so I don't want to be starting back from year 1, if I have to top up on a few modules after to get it accredited then I'm fine with that option as well

Unfortunately I can't waste anymore time as I'm a mature student.

Since you're in the biomedical science field, you wouldn't know how I could get some volunteering work or shadow biomedical scientists?as it would help towards my application to get onto biomed degree due to prior knowledge and experience, I've tried emailing NHS however they just keep sending me in cirles
    If you want to work in the NHS as a BMS then your best bet is BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science), it includes hospital placements whereas if you do BSc Biomedical Science you start the degree without guarenteed placements. Modules are very similar, they have to be as they both have to be IBMS accredited. Main difference is you graduate Healthcare Science with your HCPC Registration and within a measly 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I need to target year 2 healthcare science then, as I'm already studying hnc applied biology.

I was initially going to do the healthcare science, however one of my teacher advised against it saying I would be stuck with NHS if I wanted a change in the future. Should have gone with my instincts rather than listen to the teacher.

Anyways thanks for your advice traineebms

ReputationRep:
    I guess I need to target year 2 healthcare science then, as I'm already studying hnc applied biology.

I was initially going to do the healthcare science, however one of my teacher advised against it saying I would be stuck with NHS if I wanted a change in the future. Should have gone with my instincts rather than listen to the teacher.

Anyways thanks for your advice traineebms

Your teacher was wrong graduates from the course go on to anything biomedical science graduates do.

You won't get in to year 2 of HCS AS you'vemissed the year 1 placements.

ReputationRep:
    University of Greenwich, UEL,Anglia Ruskin all accept HND students onto final year.Middlesex,LSBU and London met accept them onto second year.Just to clarify Greenwich and UEL accept you with a distinction in applied biology.I am speaking from experience, as I’m also a mature student, don’t fret as both are IBMS accredited degrees,you won’t have any optional modules so will need to map your units with the uni core units.Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.