Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, the criteria for Home/EU tuition fee status are sorta confusing me. I'm a British national but I have been living in Asia for the majority of my life. I lived in Uk until I was 9 and now I'm in my late 17s and I was wondering If I would qualify for the UK home student fees. What do you guys think?

PS I lived in the UK for 1 year while doing my AS level, but I left after completing it I was 16
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 0j0)
    Hi, the criteria for Home/EU tuition fee status are sorta confusing me. I'm a British national but I have been living in Asia for the majority of my life. I lived in Uk until I was 9 and now I'm in my late 17s and I was wondering If I would qualify for the UK home student fees. What do you guys think?

PS I lived in the UK for 1 year while doing my AS level, but I left after completing it I was 16
    Before you can tap into home student benefits you have to show you have enough of a connection with the UK or EU by being a resident for the three years preceding the course you wish to start.

You are gong to be unable to do this. as you live outside the UK.

The answer at this point is no an you will be classed as an international student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Before you can tap into home student benefits you have to show you have enough of a connection with the UK or EU by being a resident for the three years preceding the course you wish to start.

You are gong to be unable to do this. as you live outside the UK.

The answer at this point is no an you will be classed as an international student.
    Three years in total or the three consecutive years before the start of the term?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by 0j0)
    Three years in total or the three consecutive years before the start of the term?
    You're a foreigner, so just realise that you can't get home fees. It's the three years consecutively before 1st September of the year of entry, but you will NOT be able to fufill that at all Unless you move back to the UK permanently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 0j0)
    Consecutive. No you arent a foreigner as you are still a UK national just not a resident because you live outside the UK and EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    You're a foreigner, so just realise that you can't get home fees. It's the three years consecutively before 1st September of the year of entry, but you will NOT be able to fufill that at all Unless you move back to the UK permanently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a British citizen, and even foreigners with EU nationality can still be eligible for the home fee. I understand the three year criteria is not met in my case, but i feel a little hostility in the way you worded your answer, but thanks for your input anyway, also my mums english

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if the three year criteria can be overlooked as long as I have permanently relocated to the UK and I have British citizenship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0j0)
    I'm a British citizen, and even foreigners with EU nationality can still be eligible for the home fee. I understand the three year criteria is not met in my case
    The system isn't fair. There really ought to be a fee rate for UK citizens that's below the overseas rate IMO.

I'm British. My children are British. I've paid more tax in the UK than most will pay in their entire working life, but we now live in California (past 10 years). I have to pay overseas fees for my children to study in the UK, whilst EU nationals that have lived in the UK for 3 years, get home rates.

This is going to cost me over £160k in additional fees, and no 'loans'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0j0)
    I wonder if the three year criteria can be overlooked as long as I have permanently relocated to the UK and I have British citizenship?
    No. You can't even get it for your fourth year of a course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    The system isn't fair. There really ought to be a fee rate for UK citizens that's below the overseas rate IMO.

I'm British. My children are British. I've paid more tax in the UK than most will pay in their entire working life, but we now live in California (past 10 years). I have to pay overseas fees for my children to study in the UK, whilst EU nationals that have lived in the UK for 3 years, get home rates.

This is going to cost me over £160k in additional fees, and no 'loans'.
    ah, I see, well, that sucks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.