Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to Oxford, I'm predicted A*A*AA in Economics, Politics, Maths and Physics. Do I have a chance academically?

ReputationRep:
    I did psychology at AS too and got a B

ReputationRep:
    And I'm applying next year, I'm taking a gap year to travel

ReputationRep:
    You have no chance. To be competitive, you would need 4 A* predicted grades and possibly an EPQ

ReputationRep:
    But Oxford isn't the only university for PPE! There's many other good ones you can go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvNeedsHelp)
    You have no chance. To be competitive, you would need 4 A* predicted grades and possibly an EPQ
    really? I didn't think I needed an EPQ if I do 4 A levels and an AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvNeedsHelp)
    But Oxford isn't the only university for PPE! There's many other good ones you can go to.
    I want to go to Oxford

ReputationRep:
    You havea small chance, but this is Oxford, and many top students who apply will have surpassed your grades, even though yours are impressive! If you compare your result to everyone else who has applied at Oxford for the same course, you don't stand out. Unfortunately, that's the sad truth.

But there are other great universities! Oxford isn't the only one!!!

ReputationRep:
    anybody else? Can someone tell me the average grades of applicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firevixen)
    really? I didn't think I needed an EPQ if I do 4 A levels and an AS
    Woah, woah, woah- you definitely have a chance with grades like that and a good personal statement. I'm predicted AAA (History, RS and English Lit) and only got 4A*s and 6As at GCSE, and my school is supporting me in my decision to apply for PPE at Oxford, and current students have said I have a good chance of getting a place. I've also done an EPQ, but I feel like this is more of an indication of your dedication to the course and a talking point in interviews. As long as you do well on the TSA and in the interview, I'd say you have a very good chance with grades like that. Yes, it's very competitive, but those are very good grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tararigchung)
    Woah, woah, woah- you definitely have a chance with grades like that and a good personal statement. I'm predicted AAA (History, RS and English Lit) and only got 4A*s and 6As at GCSE, and my school is supporting me in my decision to apply for PPE at Oxford, and current students have said I have a good chance of getting a place. I've also done an EPQ, but I feel like this is more of an indication of your dedication to the course and a talking point in interviews. As long as you do well on the TSA and in the interview, I'd say you have a very good chance with grades like that. Yes, it's very competitive, but those are very good grades.
    Thank you, I have 9 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and my tutor says my personal statement is impressive, I was just worried about grades as not many people from my school get into Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I have 9 A*s and 2 As at GCSE and my tutor says my personal statement is impressive, I was just worried about grades as not many people from my school get into Oxbridge
    No problem. If not many people from your school have got in, it might be because your school is very high performing but to be honest, it's probably just because not many people in any school get into Oxbridge- there's only about 5 people in my year even applying.

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to Oxford, I'm predicted A*A*AA in Economics, Politics, Maths and Physics. Do I have a chance academically?
    A very good chance. When banding candidates for PPE, the most important things in order are:

Pre-interview Admissions Test
    GCSE (or similar) profile
    Predicted performance at A-level (or similar)
    UCAS reference
    AS level module grades
    UCAS personal statement

From here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ation.pdf.html

Your GCSEs are very good, and A*A*AA is 100% solid enough for PPE, it is probably the average or above. You have the pre interview test to do well, nothing else is in your way.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot everyone!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.