Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maths Moments help #2 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    OA is uniform, OA is a porch roof, BA is the chain. It is hinged at O. Find the tension in the chain in terms of W. when angle between OA is 60 degrees. I know the Answer but dont know how to get to it.

Attachment 699176
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyoustele)
    OA is uniform, OA is a porch roof, BA is the chain. It is hinged at O. Find the tension in the chain in terms of W.
    Label some forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Label some forces.
    the only information i have is. angle between OA is 60 and weight.

ReputationRep:
    OA is uniform, OA is a porch roof, BA is the chain. It is hinged at O. Find the tension in the chain in terms of W. when angle between OA is 60 degrees. I know the Answer but dont know how to get to it.

Attachment 699176
    Have you spotted that you have an equilateral triangle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Have you spotted that you have an equilateral triangle?
    yes. I just dont know how to go about finding the tension

ReputationRep:
    Never mind guys. I think i found a way.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Attachment 699176
    Hi, for future questions you really need to post your diagram and show us your working. Otherwise we have no way of knowing where you're stuck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Hi, for future questions you really need to post your diagram and show us your working. Otherwise we have no way of knowing where you're stuck
    okay.

ReputationRep:
    RDKGames Notnek tiny hobbit

Sorry for the lack of detail in the question above. I didnt understand the concept of solving for the tension in the chain. I just read on how to solve it. However i'm a bit confused on one particular bit.
    Name:  drawisland (4).png
Views: 6
Size:  16.1 KB

when they were finding the moment of W, about the hinge (Black dot) they used 2cos30. instead of 2sin60.I know both ways work, but can any of you explain why they used 2cos30?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    RDKGames Notnek tiny hobbit

Sorry for the lack of detail in the question above. I didnt understand the concept of solving for the tension in the chain. I just read on how to solve it. However i'm a bit confused on one particular bit.

when they were finding the moment of W, about the hinge (Black dot) they used 2cos30. instead of 2sin60.I know both ways work, but can any of you explain why they used 2cos30?
    Personal choice. Maybe due to that being the horizontal force when you draw a triangle on there with angle 30, and then the W there is already a drawn side.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.