Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is an english degree worth it? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm sending my application soon and I have applied for english courses, some combined with creative writing. I have a love and a passion for english as I have always been quite good at it. However, I was wondering whether it might limit my job or career prospects after i graduate. I don't know what career field i want to go into, just that english is the subject that has basically always appealed to me. Should I go for it or do something else like Education or something where I actually know which path I am going in? Help would be appreciated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m the same as you I’d also like to know the answer to this

ReputationRep:
    Lol no.

ReputationRep:
    If u wanna be a teacher at a college or something then yh
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Regarding an English degree and its prospects. I think the two primary considerations when doing a degree are:

1. If you love the subject and will enjoy it. If you don't then you're unlikely to put your best into it
    2. As you've mentioned, career prospects.

You need to balance the two and make a decision based on both. English degrees are not just limited to teaching regarding future careers. Obviously teaching, education and academia are high on the list. But you can also go into media, management, civil service work, journalism, editorial work and a whole host of administration roles. If you pair them with another language then translation or work abroad is also an option.

A few of my friends did English at undergrad level. Currently one is working as a manager for a publisher. Another is a secondary teacher. Two are working in central London for a newspaper and the last one is a technical officer in a local council. There's quite a wide spread there.

To say they are worthless or limited to just teaching is a little closed minded and 1970's in view.

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    It seems that you're worried about the non-vocational nature of English but here are some careers that you could employ your skills in:

- Communications and PR (You could work across a variety of sectors as well: the Arts, Entertainment, Corporate and Political)
    - Publishing and Editing
    - Journalism
    - Management Consultancy (This is a surprisingly common destination for non-vocational arts & humanities students who can employ their exceptional research and critical thinking skills)
    - Theatre and Playwriting
    - Curation, Heritage and Archivist work.

The point that I'm making is that really the possibilities are endless! You might want the research the sectors as well as the ones given by the poster above me (Great work, David) but honestly there is so much more out there, plus at the end of the day English (as I'm sure you know ), is a very rewarding subject to study in itself!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree. There are so many options available with English and it can be good fun to study or research if you take it further.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.