Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been browsing the internet today and been pleasantly surprised that I haven't seen any stories being reported in the mainstream news about large companies selling highly inappropriate Halloween costumes for 2017.

Was just wondering if anyone else has come across stigmatizing costumes or other Halloween displays while going about their life as we get closer to the day?

I think it's great that we're starting to move away from people thinking it's acceptable to dress up as "scary" mental health patients. It's not acceptable to do for physical illnesses, companies don't sell "chemo patient" costumes. I did find this: https://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costum.../dp/B06XCRVS55 Which I found pretty disgusting. I don't understand how this is still on sale but the reviews are mostly criticizing the fact that it's on sale, which is positive.

Do you think costumes such as the one above are simply a "bit of fun"?

What are you dressing as for Halloween? Let's see if we can get some ideas going that don't involve stigmatizing a massive group of people.

ReputationRep:
    Who really cares, in all honesty people need to get over themselves and get a bit of a backbone, most costumes that people say are offensive or cultural appropriation are perfectly fine this costume is not making fun of people with mental illnesses it is just trying to portray Hannibal Lecter without infringing on copyright

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Who really cares, in all honesty people need to get over themselves and get a bit of a backbone, most costumes that people say are offensive or cultural appropriation are perfectly fine this costume is not making fun of people with mental illnesses it is just trying to portray Hannibal Lecter without infringing on copyright
    It's called "skitzo".

Hannibal Lecter didn't have schizophrenia and "skitzo" is a pretty clear reference to that condition. Only 9% of people with schizophrenia have jobs, it's a hugely misunderstood diagnosis and I really don't think that costumes like this are just a bit of fun. They cement the erroneous idea in people's minds that people with schizophrenia are dangerous, which makes it harder for them to do things like get jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    It's called "skitzo".

Hannibal Lecter didn't have schizophrenia and "skitzo" is a pretty clear reference to that condition. Only 9% of people with schizophrenia have jobs, it's a hugely misunderstood diagnosis people and I really don't think that costumes like this are just a bit of fun. They cement the erroneous idea in people's minds that people with schizophrenia are dangerous, which makes it harder for them to do things like get jobs.
    I mean he did hear voices and communicate to his dead family, and do you seriously think someone is going to deny them a job because they once saw an outfit like this?

ReputationRep:
    i think this is nice:

https://www.findmeagift.co.uk/gifts/...CABEgJfz_D_BwE

ReputationRep:
    Another reason I have not to take part in this US tradition.

ReputationRep:
    I mean he did hear voices and communicate to his dead family, and do you seriously think someone is going to deny them a job because they once saw an outfit like this?
    That's not how stigma works. It's not a one off thing, it builds up over time and while no, I don't think that an employer will deny someone a job based solely on seeing an outfit like this, I do think that over time people will become more wary if they're told that people with schizophrenia are dangerous or scary and so these ideas need to be challenged.

ReputationRep:
    Me too.

ReputationRep:
    Me too.
    i am not quite sure what the batteries are for

ReputationRep:
    That's not how stigma works. It's not a one off thing, it builds up over time and while no, I don't think that an employer will deny someone a job based solely on seeing an outfit like this, I do think that over time people will become more wary if they're told that people with schizophrenia are dangerous or scary and so these ideas need to be challenged.
    In all honesty it is just a bit of fun, there is enough mental health awareness around that people know that they are not all dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty it is just a bit of fun, there is enough mental health awareness around that people know that they are not all dangerous.
    Really?

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/177/1/4

71.3% of respondents on this survey believed that people with schizophrenia are a danger to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i am not quite sure what the batteries are for
    It says fan-powered but I'm not really sure how that would work either. A nice idea though!

ReputationRep:
    Really?

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/177/1/4

71.3% of respondents on this survey believed that people with schizophrenia are a danger to others.
    And they can be.

ReputationRep:
    And they can be.
    Of course, but so can people without schizophrenia. Note it's "are" not "can be" in that survey question.

ReputationRep:
    There's nowhere near enough awareness surrounding schizophrenia, otherwise costumes like this wouldn't exist in the first place. Conditions such as depression, anxiety and eating disorders, to an extent, are becoming a lot more widely understood thanks to educating people via documentaries and well-known individuals speaking about their own experiences. But the same can't be said of more complex illnesses like schizophrenia and personality disorders, there's still a huge stigma surrounding these in particular and the general public barely know what a personality disorder is, let alone try to understand the signs, symptoms, treatments etc. It's not really "just a bit of fun" when individuals are shunned and judged for having these awful illnesses on a daily basis and people think they can dress up as a skewed, accurately incorrect, ~version~ just for a laugh on one day of the year.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    There was a huge controversy about 4/5 years ago where Asda and Tesco donated around £20,000 to MIND iirc because of the uproar caused (and rightly so) by them selling mental health patient Halloween costumes.

I did an essay on schizophrenia and violent offending and pretty much all of the scientific evidence points to it being a non issue. People with a mental illness are just as likely to commit a violent crime than someone who doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    Said by somebody without mental health, no doubt.

The sheltered, selfish and uneducated right-winger strikes again.

ReputationRep:
    Well insane people are pretty frightening.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ grow a backbone... It's a costume. If costumes like that are so representative of people mental health issues to you, doesn't that mean you suggesting that we should be locking up people with metal health issues and dress them up like this? You're f*cking disgusting OP... And you say these costumes offend people? I'm sure they'd be more offended by the fact that you associate this kind of dress and restraint with people who have mental health issues...
    Spoiler:
    Show

Don't dish out nonsense if you can't take it, that above is the very same logic you're using here, grasping at straws to make something look offensive
    Although the last part isn't quite as nonsensical...

Want something to b*tch about this Halloween? How about the fact that trick or treating is nothing but glorified begging?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    Jesus Christ grow a backbone... It's a costume. If costumes like that are so representative of people mental health issues to you, doesn't that mean you suggesting that we should be locking up people with metal health issues and dress them up like this? You're f*cking disgusting OP... And you say these costumes offend people? I'm sure they'd be more offended by the fact that you associate this kind of dress and restraint with people who have mental health issues...
    Spoiler:
    Show

Don't dish out nonsense if you can't take it, that above is the very same logic you're using here, grasping at straws to make something look offensive
    Although the last part isn't quite as nonsensical...

Want something to b*tch about this Halloween? How about the fact that trick or treating is nothing but glorified begging?
    The company already made the association: they literally named the costume after a slur against people with a specific mental health condition. The OP is only pointing out what the costume already implies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.