Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Halloween and mental health stigma. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisKosh)
    The company already made the association: they literally named the costume after a slur against people with a specific mental health condition. The OP is only pointing out what the costume already implies.
    The OP is making the assumption on a wider scale, not just for this one case. The link provided was just an example.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    The OP is making the assumption on a wider scale, not just for this one case. The link provided was just an example.
    The people wearing the costumes are the ones thinking that psychiatric patients are like that.

I'm well aware that is not the case and that the people selling/wearing these costumes are the ones trying to promote this image not me for saying they're wrong for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    Said by somebody without mental health, no doubt.

The sheltered, selfish and uneducated right-winger strikes again.

I have had close family members suffer issues with mental health so you should probably not make such a brash statement and I have no problem if people want to dress up as a "psycho" or whatever. I myself have a pretty serious and obvious medical condition, people including me take the piss out of it all the time and I am perfectly fine with it because I have a spine. The people dressing up as a "psyco" are not doing it to make fun of and degrade people with actual mental issues, they are doing it because the costume looks a bit scary.

This is not even an education related question, this is just an opinion and how is it selfish, I am not wanting to restrict people from wearing most costumes, I gain nothing out of this since I am not dressing up.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  oldman.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  101.6 KB

op

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=TheMcSame;74357112]Jesus Christ grow a backbone... It's a costume. If costumes like that are so representative of people mental health issues to you, doesn't that mean you suggesting that we should be locking up people with metal health issues and dress them up like this?

That's the ****ing point... They're not representative of mental health, they're misrepresenting it and creating a stigma surrounding it. It's like when people find it acceptable to label negative things gay (non-gays, that is), it's just unnecessary and needs to stop.

I think you missed the mark completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    I have had close family members suffer issues with mental health so you should probably not make such a brash statement and I have no problem if people want to dress up as a "psycho" or whatever. I myself have a pretty serious and obvious medical condition, people including me take the piss out of it all the time and I am perfectly fine with it because I have a spine. The people dressing up as a "psyco" are not doing it to make fun of and degrade people with actual mental issues, they are doing it because the costume looks a bit scary.

This is not even an education related question, this is just an opinion and how is it selfish, I am not wanting to restrict people from wearing most costumes, I gain nothing out of this since I am not dressing up.
    Then you should be less selfish and consider this might affect other people. You don't suffer with it yourself, so you couldn't POSSIBLY know (actually you could you just refuse to acknowledge it) how mental health is stigmatised and the effects it has. I think it's a disgrace when people for example say 'do you think he has mental health'? ie about Trump as if mental health makes someone a bad person. These things need to stop.

(Original post by KingHarold)
    Another reason I have not to take part in this US tradition.
    *irish tradition brought to america (and the uk) by irish emigrants
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I am not wanting to restrict people from wearing most costumes,
    So what is inappropriate in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    So what is inappropriate in your opinion?
    I would think dressing up as a nazi or as a slave should only be done at private parties where people know that it is just a bit of a joke. But dressing up like that in public is pretty distasteful. It heavily depends on if you are in a private place where people are ok with things that are quite offencive
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I would think dressing up as a nazi or as a slave should only be done at private parties where people know that it is just a bit of a joke. But dressing up like that in public is pretty distasteful
    what about blackface?

ReputationRep:
    I personally would be fine with someone doing it if it was for a good reason, if he was going as a character that has a different skin colour, but I know many people are not ok with that so I would advise against it. if it was blackface just to make fun of black people then I would only accept that in a private situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    The people wearing the costumes are the ones thinking that psychiatric patients are like that.

I'm well aware that is not the case and that the people selling/wearing these costumes are the ones trying to promote this image not me for saying they're wrong for doing so.
    Do they think they're treated like that? You're making blind assumptions, and they're not trying to promote this image. You're looking at costmes like that and giving it the image, it's your own twisted mind portraying them like that... You overly PC SJWs are such hypocrites...

(Original post by lukauu)
    Jesus Christ grow a backbone... It's a costume. If costumes like that are so representative of people mental health issues to you, doesn't that mean you suggesting that we should be locking up people with metal health issues and dress them up like this?
    That's the ****ing point... They're not representative of mental health, they're misrepresenting it and creating a stigma surrounding it. It's like when people find it acceptable to label negative things gay (non-gays, that is), it's just unnecessary and needs to stop.

I think you missed the mark completely.
    I'm not missing the mark at all, they're not trying to represent mental health at all, it's just a damn costume. I'm not the one saying that these are trying to represent mentally ill people, the OP is.

ReputationRep:
    I mean he did hear voices and communicate to his dead family, and do you seriously think someone is going to deny them a job because they once saw an outfit like this?
    It's not just that, it's also the amount of horror movies there are, websites and other things that stigmatises mental health, that can contribute to lawyers denying someone a job.

However, this should not happen, and there are laws in place to make sure this doesn't happen, however, you cannot prove you were rejected due to a disability if you get no response back after the interview. It only starts to become obvious when several interviewers reject you.

To make sure that the rejection is not about your mental health or any of your other conditions, if your condition isn't too severe, you can choose to not mention about it, and deny them access to your health records, so they don't know about it or go to a company that is specifically designed to take care of your needs (like there is a company that provides a one week interview, and a variety of different types of cabins to accommodate people with autism).

That's obviously harder with things like obesity or mobility impairments, however you have to meet halfway and find a job that fully accommodates you and not just have the employer find an employee that can fully benefit the company, without providing much but basic facilities for the employee, like food, drink, and bathrooms.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do they think they're treated like that? You're making blind assumptions, and they're not trying to promote this image. You're looking at costmes like that and giving it the image, it's your own twisted mind portraying them like that... You overly PC SJWs are such hypocrites...

I'm not missing the mark at all. I'm not the one saying that these are trying to represent mentally ill people, the OP is.
    I think you've completely missed the point. The people who wear these costumes think that people with mental illness are dangerous and scary, just like witches and vampires and zombies, that's the whole point in Halloween. I'm not assigning anything except the fact they're wrong to their costumes.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would be fine with someone doing it if it was for a good reason, if he was going as a character that has a different skin colour, but I know many people are not ok with that so I would advise against it. if it was blackface just to make fun of black people then I would only accept that in a private situation
    In which case people would come away from the party thinking that it's acceptable for black people to be mocked and subconsciously it will start to affect the way they treat black people in real life.

Being racist in private does not make you any less racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisKosh)
    In which case people would come away from the party thinking that it's acceptable for black people to be mocked and subconsciously it will start to affect the way they treat black people in real life.

Being racist in private does not make you any less racist.
    There is a difference between me actually being racist and me making racist jokes. I am happy making a racist joke but I am not racist.

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between me actually being racist and me making racist jokes. I am happy making a racist joke but I am not racist.
    Making a racist joke is racist.

ReputationRep:
    I remember Tesco was under fire from Mind a few years back for selling a costume called "Mental patient", which was a straight jacket and orange trousers. There are many like it, costumes labelled "Psycho". The worse thing I have seen like this is Walmart was selling a latex prosthetic called "suicide cut" which was demonstrated on a wrist with a razor blade prop :/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Whenever people get triggered over a halloween costume:

I think it's especially notable in the case linked because the problem is with the name given rather than the costume itself.

ReputationRep:

I'm not missing the mark at all, they're not trying to represent mental health at all, it's just a damn costume. I'm not the one saying that these are trying to represent mentally ill people, the OP is.
    Right so 'schizo' and straight jackets aren't stigmatising mental health to you? That's your perspective, and your right to think that. I don't think people should be dressing as things associated with such traumatic connotations, but that's just me. You probably think it was fine for Prince Harry to dress as a Nazi. I don't. It's not necessary. If you want to call me a snowflake, that's fine. However I don't take it personally (I only have anxiety), I just don't like people stigmatising communities that just want to be tolerated but are being held back by this 'mild' societal acceptance of judgement/mockery of things they can't understand. That's how society gets corrupted, make it mild and hate becomes acceptable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.