Halloween and mental health stigma. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisKosh)
    Making a racist joke is racist.
    It is not. If it really is then a lot of comedians are really racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I think you've completely missed the point. The people who wear these costumes think that people with mental illness are dangerous and scary, just like witches and vampires and zombies, that's the whole point in Halloween. I'm not assigning anything except the fact they're wrong to their costumes.
    The majority of people who wear costumes like that don't think people with metal health problems are straight jacket crazies though... You're the one making that connection. Straight jackets are used to retrain people who would be of harm to themselves/others... Yes, sometimes that does include people with mental health issues, but that's not their intention, and their more associated with the crazed killers in movies these days than as a means of restraining/torturing mentally ill people... YOU are the one making that connection.

In the modern day, if someone is in a straight jacket, there's probably a very good reason for it. And that reason would be because they're dangerous, regardless of their mental status.

(Original post by lukauu)
    Right so 'schizo' and straight jackets aren't stigmatising mental health to you? That's your perspective, and your right to think that. I don't think people should be dressing as things associated with such traumatic connotations, but that's just me. You probably think it was fine for Prince Harry to dress as a Nazi. I don't. It's not necessary. If you want to call me a snowflake, that's fine. However I don't take it personally (I only have anxiety), I just don't like people stigmatising communities that just want to be tolerated but are being held back by this 'mild' societal acceptance of judgement/mockery of things they can't understand. That's how society gets corrupted, make it mild and hate becomes acceptable.
    Schizo? No. If Schizo is so offensive, should we just start calling it phrenia?
    Straight jackets? No.
    In that context? Sure... It might be a bit insensitive. But the OP isn't just talking about that one example, which, let's face it, isn't a straight jacket. It's a jumpsuit with cuffs.

"You probably think it was fine for Prince Harry to dress as a Nazi."
    You're comparing dressing as a Nazi to dressing in a straight jacket pretending to be someone mentally ill? I mean if you want to start making idiotic statements...
    You might think that people with mental health issues are literal Nazis, but I sure as hell don't.

Oh hey look at that. I can also grasp at straws to make people look bad...

A straight jacket is just a straight jacket, sure, it has a history, but so does the turban... Should we start demonising the turban because it's associated with terrorism? No... A turban is just a f*cking turban in the same way that a straight jacket is just a straight jacket... Let me guess, you're going to be going after Quiet Riot as well? I seem to remember a straight jacket being a big part of their image... On second thoughts, don't bother looking them up, the distortion might be too offensive, and certainly don't try listening to Bang your head...

ReputationRep:
    I have been browsing the internet today and been pleasantly surprised that I haven't seen any stories being reported in the mainstream news about large companies selling highly inappropriate Halloween costumes for 2017.

Was just wondering if anyone else has come across stigmatizing costumes or other Halloween displays while going about their life as we get closer to the day?

I think it's great that we're starting to move away from people thinking it's acceptable to dress up as "scary" mental health patients. It's not acceptable to do for physical illnesses, companies don't sell "chemo patient" costumes. I did find this: https://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costum.../dp/B06XCRVS55 Which I found pretty disgusting. I don't understand how this is still on sale but the reviews are mostly criticizing the fact that it's on sale, which is positive.

Do you think costumes such as the one above are simply a "bit of fun"?

What are you dressing as for Halloween? Let's see if we can get some ideas going that don't involve stigmatizing a massive group of people.

If you go as Professor X complete with wheelchair, is that celebrating disability or mocking it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    The majority of people who wear costumes like that don't think people with metal health problems are straight jacket crazies though... You're the one making that connection. Straight jackets are used to retrain people who would be of harm to themselves/others... Yes, sometimes that does include people with mental health issues, but that's not their intention, and their more associated with the crazed killers in movies these days than as a means of restraining/torturing mentally ill people... YOU are the one making that connection.

In the modern day, if someone is in a straight jacket, there's probably a very good reason for it. And that reason would be because they're dangerous, regardless of their mental status.

That's exactly what they think, otherwise why would they choose to dress up as a person with mental health problems? The point of Halloween is something scary. By dressing as someone with mental health problems you are making an announcement that you think people with mental health problems are scary, otherwise why would you dress like that?

What people dressing up in straitjackets are doing is making light of something awful that happened in the past to people who were ill. How is that any different to dressing up as a Jewish Auschwitz prisoner?

Schizo? No. If Schizo is so offensive, should we just start calling it phrenia?
    Is it acceptable in British society to call Pakistanis "Pakis"?

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly what they think, otherwise why would they choose to dress up as a person with mental health problems? The point of Halloween is something scary. By dressing as someone with mental health problems you are making an announcement that you think people with mental health problems are scary, otherwise why would you dress like that?

What people dressing up in straitjackets are doing is making light of something awful that happened in the past to people who were ill. How is that any different to dressing up as a Jewish Auschwitz prisoner?

You got him there hahaha. God, all this minimising is seriously making me lose hope. These people genuinely find this acceptable, and that's sad.

ReputationRep:

They're dressing up as someone in a straight jacket, that could be mass murderer for all you know... YOU are the one making the mental health connection, and if anything is going to offend people, it's you making the connection of straight jacket and mental illness...

Again, going back to the turban thing. By your logic, if I dressed up in white robes and a turban, I'm now being offensive to everyone who died at the hands of Bin Laden, even if I think I'm dressing as someone completely different...

Depends on the context and where you are. Nevermind the fact that 99% of the time you'd call them Asians, but what's logic when you've got feelings right?

Paki can also be a nickname for Patrick....

These people genuinely find this acceptable, and that's sad.
    The irony is that your own disgusting views on mentally ill people has lead you to associate mentally ill with straight jackets... That's what's really sad about all of this...

ReputationRep:
    - Double Post -

ReputationRep:
    They're dressing up as someone in a straight jacket, that could be mass murderer for all you know... YOU are the one making the mental health connection, and if anything is going to offend people, it's you making the connection of straight jacket and mental illness...

Again, going back to the turban thing. By your logic, if I dressed up in white robes and a turban, I'm now being offensive to everyone who died at the hands of Bin Laden, even if I think I'm dressing as someone completely different...

Depends on the context and where you are. Nevermind the fact that 99% of the time you'd call them Asians, but what's logic when you've got feelings right?

The irony is that your own disgusting views on mentally ill people has lead you to associate mentally ill with straight jackets... That's what's really sad about all of this...
    Asda's costume was called "mental patient fancy dress costume", and Tesco's was labeled "psycho ward" outfit. ( http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-24278768 ) The one I linked to is called 'skitzo'. Gee, I wonder why people might think the person wearing these costumes is portraying a person with a mental illness. :dunce:

I think if you dressed as Bin Laden that would be offensive yes. Likewise don't dress as a Jew in a concentration camp uniform.

Yes, you call Pakistanis 'Asians'. And you call schizophrenics 'schizophrenics'. Unless you want to be offensive.

ReputationRep:

This is it. This is literally the whole point of this entire thread. Halloween = scary = people dressing up in scary costumes. By dressing in one of those outfits said individual is implying they find those with mental health problems scary (and there is literally no debate about whether the costumes are trying to represent mental patients or not because that's what they're actually CALLED) and therefore encouraging a negative stereotype about a group of people who are already shunned.

I can't believe people are struggling to understand such a basic concept.

ReputationRep:

Wow, you REALLY don't understand how to apply context, do you? A* for trying though.

ReputationRep:
    Sabertooth, did this guy really just say WE created the link between strait jackets and people with mental health? LMFAO. This guy is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Sabertooth, did this guy really just say WE created the link between strait jackets and people with mental health? LMFAO. This guy is a joke.
    Apparently so.

Supposedly stigma against mental health conditions amongst the public doesn't exist and it's only because of people like us objecting to national supermarkets selling "mental patient fancy dress" costumes that this stigma emerges. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently so.

Supposedly stigma against mental health conditions amongst the public doesn't exist and it's only because of people like us objecting to national supermarkets selling "mental patient fancy dress" costumes that this stigma emerges. :beard:
    It's people like this that make society a breeding ground for intolerance and mockery. He's probably never experienced this kind of thing, but that's NO excuse for his pathetic attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Should we start demonising the turban because it's associated with terrorism?
    What? Sure some terrorists wear turbans but personally I don't associate turbans with terrorism. If I see someone in a turban I just assume they're a Sikh.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.