Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm 16 and a guy who's really shy and I'd like to know what I could do to get over my social anxiety and social phobias and make meaningful friendships. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I used to be really shy too so I understand your concern.

Once you find someone that you'd like to be friends with, you could start by giving them a compliment (it could be about anything, really. Their mindset, their shoes, their work ethic, their philosophy on life, their clothes etc anything that you notice about them)

Then from there, try to engage them in small talk (if you notice something interesting in your surroundings, mention that and go from there)

Being shy and waiting for people to come up to you usually will only get us so far. I speak from personal experience.

Getting over our shyness just takes practice. When you have social anxiety, interacting with others can seem intimidating but most people are nice and will appreciate your effort to engage with them.

And if you are not getting a good reaction from a particular person (it happens and it's completely normal) , then just move onto the next person until you find an amazing friend which you will if you don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani0322)
    I used to be really shy too so I understand your concern.

Once you find someone that you'd like to be friends with, you could start by giving them a compliment (it could be about anything, really. Their mindset, their shoes, their work ethic, their philosophy on life, their clothes etc anything that you notice about them)

Then from there, try to engage them in small talk (if you notice something interesting in your surroundings, mention that and go from there)

Being shy and waiting for people to come up to you usually will only get us so far. I speak from personal experience.

Getting over our shyness just takes practice. When you have social anxiety, interacting with others can seem intimidating but most people are nice and will appreciate your effort to engage with them.

And if you are not getting a good reaction from a particular person (it happens and it's completely normal) , then just move onto the next person until you find an amazing friend which you will if you don't give up.
    Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe talk to the people on social media, let them get to know you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Common.Interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarnat)
    Maybe talk to the people on social media, let them get to know you.
    Yeah I could I suppose. Thanks!

(Original post by JDieMstr)
    Common.Interest.
    I guess I could start joining clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm 16 and a guy who's really shy and I'd like to know what I could do to get over my social anxiety and social phobias and make meaningful friendships. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    join a sports club
    go out with friends. just force yourself to do it.

i know its one thing to say it, but trust me its really simple.

ReputationRep:
    When you have social anxiety it’s hard to talk to people and make friends. I know that because I have social anxiety and no friends. I just try to remind myself that people don’t generally take notice of me and if I talk to someone and they don’t want to talk or I say or do something stupid, they forget it whilst I think about it for the next 5 years and replay it whilst I’m trying to get to sleep. But yeah as I said, just try and talk to people (easier said than done) and remind yourself that people don’t take notice of you or what you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg846)
    When you have social anxiety it’s hard to talk to people and make friends. I know that because I have social anxiety and no friends. I just try to remind myself that people don’t generally take notice of me and if I talk to someone and they don’t want to talk or I say or do something stupid, they forget it whilst I think about it for the next 5 years and replay it whilst I’m trying to get to sleep. But yeah as I said, just try and talk to people (easier said than done) and remind yourself that people don’t take notice of you or what you do.

(Original post by amaraub)
    join a sports club
    go out with friends. just force yourself to do it.

i know its one thing to say it, but trust me its really simple.
    Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    ill be your friend, there. (:

ReputationRep:
    Awww I'm 16 too and I'm like shy and all but it's really all about pushing yourself out there and going out of your comfort zone Hence how I've made friends I'll be your friend too msg me if u want ))
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imzy010)
    Awww I'm 16 too and I'm like shy and all but it's really all about pushing yourself out there and going out of your comfort zone Hence how I've made friends I'll be your friend too msg me if u want ))
    Thanks!

Why can’t you receive mails?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.