How could I make friends??

Watch
Tom Kav
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey, I'm 16 and a guy who's really shy and I'd like to know what I could do to get over my social anxiety and social phobias and make meaningful friendships. Thanks
Dani0322
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I used to be really shy too so I understand your concern.

Once you find someone that you'd like to be friends with, you could start by giving them a compliment (it could be about anything, really. Their mindset, their shoes, their work ethic, their philosophy on life, their clothes etc anything that you notice about them)

Then from there, try to engage them in small talk (if you notice something interesting in your surroundings, mention that and go from there)

Being shy and waiting for people to come up to you usually will only get us so far. I speak from personal experience.

Getting over our shyness just takes practice. When you have social anxiety, interacting with others can seem intimidating but most people are nice and will appreciate your effort to engage with them.

And if you are not getting a good reaction from a particular person (it happens and it's completely normal) , then just move onto the next person until you find an amazing friend which you will if you don't give up.
Tom Kav
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dani0322)
I used to be really shy too so I understand your concern.

Once you find someone that you'd like to be friends with, you could start by giving them a compliment (it could be about anything, really. Their mindset, their shoes, their work ethic, their philosophy on life, their clothes etc anything that you notice about them)

Then from there, try to engage them in small talk (if you notice something interesting in your surroundings, mention that and go from there)

Being shy and waiting for people to come up to you usually will only get us so far. I speak from personal experience.

Getting over our shyness just takes practice. When you have social anxiety, interacting with others can seem intimidating but most people are nice and will appreciate your effort to engage with them.

And if you are not getting a good reaction from a particular person (it happens and it's completely normal) , then just move onto the next person until you find an amazing friend which you will if you don't give up.
Thank You!
aarnat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe talk to the people on social media, let them get to know you.
JDieMstr
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Common.Interest.
Tom Kav
Rep:
?
(Original post by aarnat)
Maybe talk to the people on social media, let them get to know you.
Yeah I could I suppose. Thanks!

(Original post by JDieMstr)
Common.Interest.
I guess I could start joining clubs.
Tom Kav
Rep:
?
Hey, I'm 16 and a guy who's really shy and I'd like to know what I could do to get over my social anxiety and social phobias and make meaningful friendships. Thanks
username2975726
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
join a sports club
go out with friends. just force yourself to do it.

i know its one thing to say it, but trust me its really simple.
Meg846
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When you have social anxiety it’s hard to talk to people and make friends. I know that because I have social anxiety and no friends. I just try to remind myself that people don’t generally take notice of me and if I talk to someone and they don’t want to talk or I say or do something stupid, they forget it whilst I think about it for the next 5 years and replay it whilst I’m trying to get to sleep. But yeah as I said, just try and talk to people (easier said than done) and remind yourself that people don’t take notice of you or what you do.
Tom Kav
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meg846)
When you have social anxiety it’s hard to talk to people and make friends. I know that because I have social anxiety and no friends. I just try to remind myself that people don’t generally take notice of me and if I talk to someone and they don’t want to talk or I say or do something stupid, they forget it whilst I think about it for the next 5 years and replay it whilst I’m trying to get to sleep. But yeah as I said, just try and talk to people (easier said than done) and remind yourself that people don’t take notice of you or what you do.

Thanks!!!
Tom Kav
Rep:
?
Alevelsxxsxx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ill be your friend, there. (:
Imzy010
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Awww I'm 16 too and I'm like shy and all but it's really all about pushing yourself out there and going out of your comfort zone Hence how I've made friends I'll be your friend too msg me if u want ))
Tom Kav
Rep:
?
(Original post by Imzy010)
Awww I'm 16 too and I'm like shy and all but it's really all about pushing yourself out there and going out of your comfort zone Hence how I've made friends I'll be your friend too msg me if u want ))
Thanks!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
Why can’t you receive mails?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (305)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (242)
44.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed