This discussion is closed.
Einnocon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am nearly finished an Open University degree in Environmental Studies and I have recently decided I would like to get a PGCE and teach Geography. However, my degree isn't directly a Geography degree and I also don't have a Geography GCSE or A Level. I do however have A Levels in Biology (A) and Environmental Studies (A*) which overlap with Geography (as well as another A Level in English).
Does anybody know if I would be allowed to teach Geography with these qualifications? There is a vast amount of overlap and I have even studied 100 credits of Geography modules for my degree, but I haven't actually got any Geography qualifications.

Many many thanks in advance
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think generally you have to study 50% of the subject you want to teach in your degree to do a pgce so that might not be enough credits, it's a good idea to contact providers to know for sure.

(Original post by Einnocon)
I am nearly finished an Open University degree in Environmental Studies and I have recently decided I would like to get a PGCE and teach Geography. However, my degree isn't directly a Geography degree and I also don't have a Geography GCSE or A Level. I do however have A Levels in Biology (A) and Environmental Studies (A*) which overlap with Geography (as well as another A Level in English).
Does anybody know if I would be allowed to teach Geography with these qualifications? There is a vast amount of overlap and I have even studied 100 credits of Geography modules for my degree, but I haven't actually got any Geography qualifications.

Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Einnocon)

An OU Environmental Studies degree is fine for teaching geography (your degree is essentially human geography). Not having geography at GCSE or A level won't matter.
Steve Mac
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
[quote=Einnocon;74297598]I am nearly finished an Open University degree in Environmental Studies and I have recently decided I would like to get a PGCE and teach Geography. However, my degree isn't directly a Geography degree and I also don't have a Geography GCSE or A Level. I do however have A Levels in Biology (A) and Environmental Studies (A*) which overlap with Geography (as well as another A Level in English).

How did you get on Einnocon? Are you teaching now?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.49%
Confident (14)
8.97%
Indifferent (16)
10.26%
Unsure (38)
24.36%
Worried (81)
51.92%

Watched Threads