Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I teach Geography with an Environmental Studies degree? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am nearly finished an Open University degree in Environmental Studies and I have recently decided I would like to get a PGCE and teach Geography. However, my degree isn't directly a Geography degree and I also don't have a Geography GCSE or A Level. I do however have A Levels in Biology (A) and Environmental Studies (A*) which overlap with Geography (as well as another A Level in English).
    Does anybody know if I would be allowed to teach Geography with these qualifications? There is a vast amount of overlap and I have even studied 100 credits of Geography modules for my degree, but I haven't actually got any Geography qualifications.

Many many thanks in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think generally you have to study 50% of the subject you want to teach in your degree to do a pgce so that might not be enough credits, it's a good idea to contact providers to know for sure.

(Original post by Einnocon)
    I am nearly finished an Open University degree in Environmental Studies and I have recently decided I would like to get a PGCE and teach Geography. However, my degree isn't directly a Geography degree and I also don't have a Geography GCSE or A Level. I do however have A Levels in Biology (A) and Environmental Studies (A*) which overlap with Geography (as well as another A Level in English).
    Does anybody know if I would be allowed to teach Geography with these qualifications? There is a vast amount of overlap and I have even studied 100 credits of Geography modules for my degree, but I haven't actually got any Geography qualifications.

• Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einnocon)

An OU Environmental Studies degree is fine for teaching geography (your degree is essentially human geography). Not having geography at GCSE or A level won't matter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.