Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1299 - Police (Firearm and Taser) Bill 2017 Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    B1299 - Police (Firearm and Taser) Bill 2017, The Hon Hazzer1998 MP

Police (Firearm and Taser) Bill 2017

An act to train and arm all police officers with tasers and to give all officers the opportunity to be trained on how to operate and carry firearms

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the consent of the Commons in this present parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Section 1 Tasers
    1.1 All officers will be taught how to use and carry tasers during police basic training.
    1.2 All officers will hereby carry the X26 tasers when on patrol.
    1.3 All incidents where a taser is used will be investigated by the IPCC.

Section 2 Firearms
    2.1 All police officers will be given the opportunity to be trained on firearms to become Authorised firearm officers (AFOs) if they so wish.
    2.2 The training will be made available to police officers with 3 or more years’ experience with any police force with exemptions being made for ex-military police officers who may take the training after 12 months of working with any police force.

Section 3 Commencement, Extent and Short title

3.1This bill is cited as the Police (Firearm and Taser) Bill 2017
    3.2This bill extends to all police forces in the United Kingdom
    3.3 This bill comes into force immediately

Spoiler:
    Show
    Notes

The UK faces an unprecedent risk of rising crime and terrorism. This bill arms all police officers with an X26 taser when on patrol and makes training on tasers compulsory for all police officers.
    The UK also needs more firearm trained officers. This bill gives the opportunity for all police officers to become AFOs (Authorised firearm officers) if they have served 3 or more years in any police forces with the exemption for ex military officers.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No.

Sorry.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Make the training and carrying optional and I'd be more inclined to agree.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Our police are so good because they don't rely on weapons.

ReputationRep:
    So once they are trained, they have the ability to carry these weapons about when on the duty, and not only in response to certain calls?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    This is why I have some hesitation towards this bill and instead would like to see these things being offered. We ought to be proud of our brilliantly trained forces that always look after public safety. If I'm being honest, this seems to be a knee-jerk 'Look at us' which aims to attack those who disagree as supposed to working towards something of substance. It is with these in mind that I'll probably be abstaining.

ReputationRep:
    I wish for more liberal laws with regard to weapons for the general population in addition to our police force. Without this equality between the state and its citizens, I would feel too uneasy about the power dynamic it would create to vote in favour of this bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    Make the training and carrying optional and I'd be more inclined to agree.
    All officers should be trained and carry tasers when on patrol so if needed they can be used in the most extreme circumstances I.e if someone is carrying a knife with the intent to do harm etc. This bill does not arm all officers with firearms merely makes the training optional for all police officers

Firearm officers are needed in the most extreme situations. for example in London there are hundreds of armed response officers to respond to terrorist attacks within minutes. If we take the South West there are very few and the wait for armed response in the event of a terrorist attack would be far to long considering police forces share armed officers.

(Original post by Tommy1boy)
    So once they are trained, they have the ability to carry these weapons about when on the duty, and not only in response to certain calls?
    All officers would be trained and would carry x26 police tasers, all officers after 3 year of service would have the option to be trained on firearms to become and authorised firearm officers who would be able to respond to serious incidents if firearms were needed they would not carry firearms on a standard patrol

(Original post by Conceited)
    This is why I have some hesitation towards this bill and instead would like to see these things being offered. We ought to be proud of our brilliantly trained forces that always look after public safety. If I'm being honest, this seems to be a knee-jerk 'Look at us' which aims to attack those who disagree as supposed to working towards something of substance. It is with these in mind that I'll probably be abstaining.
    This bill aims to address the regional differences between armed response officers. the number of Firearm officers have been cut from around 7000 to around 5200

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    All officers should be trained and carry tasers when on patrol so if needed they can be used in the most extreme circumstances I.e if someone is carrying a knife with the intent to do harm etc. This bill does not arm all officers with firearms merely makes the training optional for all police officers

Firearm officers are needed in the most extreme situations. for example in London there are hundreds of armed response officers to respond to terrorist attacks within minutes. If we take the South West there are very few and the wait for armed response in the event of a terrorist attack would be far to long considering police forces share armed officers.

All officers would be trained and would carry x26 police tasers, all officers after 3 year of service would have the option to be trained on firearms to become and authorised firearm officers who would be able to respond to serious incidents if firearms were needed they would not carry firearms on a standard patrol

This bill aims to address the regional differences between armed response officers. the number of Firearm officers have been cut from around 7000 to around 5200
    I thank you for your reassurances. Its an aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saunders16)
    I wish for more liberal laws with regard to weapons for the general population in addition to our police force. Without this equality between the state and its citizens, I would feel too uneasy about the power dynamic it would create to vote in favour of this bill.
    Let's make this clear. this bill would not arm all officers with firearms only standard police issue tasers which would be used in extreme situations as I've mentioned above.

What this bill aims to achieve is to make the firearm training available to all officers should they wish to become AFOs after 3 years

ReputationRep:
    Let's make this clear. this bill would not arm all officers with firearms only standard police issue tasers which would be used in extreme situations as I've mentioned above.

What this bill aims to achieve is to make the firearm training available to all officers should they wish to become AFOs after 3 years
    I feel uncomfortable about any police officers possessing firearms if the citizenry cannot (ideally I would like everybody to have access to firearms). Nonetheless, seeing as this is already the case and the purpose of the bill is to have a more equal policy across the country, I will think about giving this bill an Aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    They are needed in extreme situations. That is why we have armed response units. Do you have any evidence that suggests that more armed police are needed?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They are needed in extreme situations. That is why we have armed response units. Do you have any evidence that suggests that more armed police are needed?
    We have armed response units but it depends on where in the country you are. as I said above this bill aims to address the regional disparity between the number of armed polive officers. in London you have several hundred AFOs able to respond to terrorists incidents withinot minutes whereas other high risk targets throughout the country have significantly less AFOs meaning the response time and resources would be significantly longer.

https://fullfact.org/crime/have-arme...bers-been-cut/
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auth...rearms_officer (look at the AFOs number section)

ReputationRep:
    Hasn't this bill already been done? I remember seeing a bill being done on this topic not too long ago. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see what good this achieves. Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, I am concerned about the effects this could have on the dynamics of policing in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Hasn't this bill already been done? I remember seeing a bill being done on this topic not too long ago. :holmes:
    Probably my motion last term

It didn’t pass

ReputationRep:
    Nope nope nope
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.