Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Definitions of light, critical and heavy damping that would get me full marks in the exam if it came up?

ReputationRep:
    Consult ur textbook, it should have all that u need. If its examboard approved i cant see why there definitions would not get u full marks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Don't think of it like that

Just remember the major points and mix them into a statement

e.g. for critical damping we know that there are no oscillations, and that the system reaches equilibrium as fast as possible

So just morph it into some kind of statement : 'Critical damping is when the system reaches the equilibrium position as quickly as possible without oscillating'

Colleges, unis, exam boards, etc aren't impressed by learning the exact statement, any computer can do that; what they want to see is that you understand what you're talking about and are able to apply your knowledge and use your brain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    Consult ur textbook, it should have all that u need. If its examboard approved i cant see why there definitions would not get u full marks.
    Have found with previous definitions that the ones given in the textbook do not match the mark schemes so I'm a little cautious to just trust my textbook entirely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catacat)
    Don't think of it like that

Just remember the major points and mix them into a statement

e.g. for critical damping we know that there are no oscillations, and that the system reaches equilibrium as fast as possible

So just morph it into some kind of statement : 'Critical damping is when the system reaches the equilibrium position as quickly as possible without oscillating'

Colleges, unis, exam boards, etc aren't impressed by learning the exact statement, any computer can do that; what they want to see is that you understand what you're talking about and are able to apply your knowledge and use your brain
    I would like to believe this is true but I have many times missed out a 'key word' in a definition or explanation despite understanding the concept perfectly and lost marks because it didn't match the mark schemes

ReputationRep:
    what is your board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catacat)
    what is your board?
    AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    AQA
    well then I advise you to memorize the answers from the marking scheme directly; no ifs and buts

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.