The Student Room Group

What are the GCSEs and a levels that I need to become a psychologist

And what sort of grades as well cos I really wanna be one but not sure what subjects are best
Original post by louisa.rb
And what sort of grades as well cos I really wanna be one but not sure what subjects are best

GCSE: Maths and Science mainly.
A level: Psychology.
Then do an accredited degree and then go onto masters, then do a licensing exam and you should be all done. :smile:

Or you could study at the OU and skip A levels. :lol:
Reply 2
Ty sm and would biology be the science that would be most important or would physics and chemistry be important to
Original post by louisa.rb
Ty sm and would biology be the science that would be most important or would physics and chemistry be important to

Biology would be good, yes. You study the brain at some point and it's a science subject that involves statistics and Maths so it's a mixture of things really!
Reply 4
Original post by hannxm
Biology would be good, yes. You study the brain at some point and it's a science subject that involves statistics and Maths so it's a mixture of things really!

Thank you
Psychology involves a lot of statistics so Maths would be a good option, along with Biology and obviously Psychology
As long as you have good GCSEs in Maths & English (Grade B or above for Maths) then the rest of your GCSEs don't really matter - although good science GCSEs help. In terms of A levels, definitely do Psychology if you can for obvious reasons! I did Chemistry & Biology in addition and although helpful, you don't need those subjects to get onto a degree. I massively struggled with the difficulty and workload of Chemistry & Biology, and would probably recommend Sociology instead. I also started off doing A level Maths and couldn't get my head round it at all so dropped out; but the statistics module on my degree are my favourite and my best results. In short: do "easy" a levels which universities will still accept.

Some universities require you to have at least one science A level, but this includes psychology. Have a look at a few university websites and what they look for in terms of A levels.
Reply 7
Original post by prophetkid
As long as you have good GCSEs in Maths & English (Grade B or above for Maths) then the rest of your GCSEs don't really matter - although good science GCSEs help. In terms of A levels, definitely do Psychology if you can for obvious reasons! I did Chemistry & Biology in addition and although helpful, you don't need those subjects to get onto a degree. I massively struggled with the difficulty and workload of Chemistry & Biology, and would probably recommend Sociology instead. I also started off doing A level Maths and couldn't get my head round it at all so dropped out; but the statistics module on my degree are my favourite and my best results. In short: do "easy" a levels which universities will still accept.

Some universities require you to have at least one science A level, but this includes psychology. Have a look at a few university websites and what they look for in terms of A levels.

Ty sm that helps loads x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending