Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

i can't really see what i've done wrong in this question, although then again i know that i have major gaps in my mathematical knowledge too

the correct answer is D) 3/2a^4, but i got A.

thank you in advance

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  455.9 KBAttachment 699238699240
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashaxo99)
    hi guys

i can't really see what i've done wrong in this question, although then again i know that i have major gaps in my mathematical knowledge too

the correct answer is D) 3/2a^4, but i got A.

thank you in advance

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  455.9 KBAttachment 699238699240
    the trouble is that part of the curve is below the x axis, and part above, so you have to do two separate integrations.

ReputationRep:
    You need to work out the area below and above the line from the x axis and add their magnitudes, I'd recommend drawing the graph
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I recognise this, for the ECAA isn't it! I'm doing it too
    Eeeek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the trouble is that part of the curve is below the x axis, and part above, so you have to do two separate integrations.
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BDunlop)
    You need to work out the area below and above the line from the x axis and add their magnitudes, I'd recommend drawing the graph
    I recognise this, for the ECAA isn't it! I'm doing it too
    Eeeek
    thank you so much!

and yuh-huh, it's from the ECAA alright how do you feel about it? best of luck for thursday!

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much!

and yuh-huh, it's from the ECAA alright how do you feel about it? best of luck for thursday!
    Well, I'm not very confident at all for the writing side of things, hbu?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not very confident at all for the writing side of things, hbu?
    i've tried writing a couple essays and they've gone okayish i guess! i'm not too confident for it either though, to be honest. i'm hoping it's a really good text. i may practise a couple more times before thursday, just so i can approach the section with a better mood on the day

ReputationRep:
    i've tried writing a couple essays and they've gone okayish i guess! i'm not too confident for it either though, to be honest. i'm hoping it's a really good text. i may practise a couple more times before thursday, just so i can approach the section with a better mood on the day
    I don't do any essay subjects, so I guess I'm slightly out of practice you could say! Shall be doing some sort of preparation... I've already done A2 maths and got an A* but sadly all they test is c1/c2 oh well, what were your as modules like?

ReputationRep:
    I don't do any essay subjects, so I guess I'm slightly out of practice you could say! Shall be doing some sort of preparation... I've already done A2 maths and got an A* but sadly all they test is c1/c2 oh well, what were your as modules like?
    an A* in maths is fab! i'm sure the C1 and C2 in the exam will be good to you then!

i'm like, barely competition at all! my AS modules for maths were terrible, my average ums is only 86. my c1 went super well but i only just about scraped an A in C2 and S1. plus, i don't even do further maths, unfortunately. my college didn't let me take on 4 a-levels because they thought my gcse grades were too *****y. i kinda agree with them (3 A*s, 5 As, 1 B, and a lovely lil E). i have a ton of extenuating circumstance stuff going on with my gcses and AS which has contributed to this kinda disgusting under-performance, though. but that's why i'm really hoping to do well in the ECAA!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.