Debt debt and more debt

Watch
denver1994
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I’m at third year adult nursing student and have found myself missing payments left right and Center on pay day loans and catalogues and phone bills etc.

I have my own place and literally cannot afford to eat.

Stress isn’t even the word.

I’m losing sleep and it’s affecting my studies and I’m not sure where to turn next.

Any help or advise or reassurance welcome

Denver
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by denver1994)
So I’m at third year adult nursing student and have found myself missing payments left right and Center on pay day loans and catalogues and phone bills etc.

I’m losing sleep and it’s affecting my studies and I’m not sure where to turn next.

Denver
Get an appointment with the citizens advice bureau or there's numerous debt management charities who d help you set up minimum payment plans with all the companies so things don't get worse.
Devify
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Denver
Talk to your university finance team, they might be able to help you out financially or at least give a couple of ideas on how to help. It may be worth looking at scholarships and bursaries based on financial need. There are plenty around, even if it's something like £200 it would help.
H.a.hx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know my university offers financial assistance to those who really need it. It's worth speaking to someone at your uni about your situation.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Denver
You need to calculate how much your average monthly income is, how much your in debt to and ergo over an x year period how much you'll allocate to pay off debts per month. As another poster said, have citizens advise negotiate for you as it will make your situation appear more serious to your creditors.
Sweyn Forkbeard
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry, the situation isn't completely beyond hope here.

There are a few different organisations which are very experienced at helping with this kind of thing - some examples:

Citizens Advice (as people have already noted)
National Debtline
StepChange

Those are three which I have experience of and they're all free to use. The funding models of Citizens Advice and National Debtline are slightly more likely to ensure the advice you receive from them is impartial.

If your payday lenders lent to you irresponsibly then you may also be able to make a complaint about them (which could result in the interest being written off, but it depends on a lot of things). One thing which will definitely happen though is that your credit file will be ruined for a while.
Ensorcell
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As well as the national debt help, there's loads of Saturday jobs available for students and there are easy ways to make money online, such as buying and reselling at a higher price online and investment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed