The Student Room Group

MA Social Work funding (post grad)

Hi guys,

Has anybody completed or in the process of completing a masters degree in social work? If so, how did you fund it?

I'm aware you can now take out a £10,000 government loan out, however, this would only fund around one year and the course is two years. I'm also aware the NHS can sometimes provide bursaries but surely it can't be enough to live off and fund the rest of the course?

I've always worked during university and college but this time I will be at placements so might be more difficult to pick up more than 2 shifts a week.

Any advice would be appreciated I'm really stressing out!!

Thanks - Sophie
You can't take out the NHS bursary and the loan. Your university will tell you if you have been awarded the bursary or not (it works on a point system based on the interview). The maximum bursary awarded is around £7000 a year and part of your tuition fee paid for. I have yet to start (or even apply for my masters) but from the people I have spoken to you are only in university 1/2 days a week when not on placement so for me a part time job is feasible. Some universities offer scholarships or bursaries but are dependent on certain factors. Have a look on the universities websites where you want to apply and see if you meet the criteria. If not have you considered taking a year out and working to fund it?
Where are you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest