Turn on thread page Beta

firm and insurance, same grade watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i got my civil engineering offers and i've ruled out swansea and nottingham because of its location and their modules dont seem interesting

that leaves me with cardiff, bristol and southampton

AAA offer:
    Cardiff would be close to home, and the city will feel familiar. the modules are pretty standard for civil eng, a bit more interesting than swansea and nottingham. i've visited this one and they got good industry links in city itself. was going to put cardiff as insurance but now bristols is lower so its giving me a dilemma

AAB offer:
    bristol city is my favourite out of all of them. being quite prestigious gets to me a bit so thats probs why i wanted to firm it initially. i still do. it's not too far from home but also a bit of distance so it wont be a dramatic change, social wise.

AAB offer:
    southampton course focuses a little too much for my liking on programming for a civil eng course. but i guess it's good transferrable skills to have with all computers in work place now adays. i havent been to the city. the only reason why i'm considering because of its 100% employment stat after 6 months and it gave me lower offer. after they gave me this offer i was considering this as insurance. i was in a position where my insurance would be higher, and now my insurance could be the same grade.

anything else i should consider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    i got my civil engineering offers and i've ruled out swansea and nottingham because of its location and their modules dont seem interesting

AAA offer:
    Cardiff would be close to home, and the city will feel familiar. the modules are pretty standard for civil eng, a bit more interesting than swansea and nottingham. i've visited this one and they got good industry links in city itself. was going to put cardiff as insurance but now bristols is lower so its giving me a dilemma

AAB offer:
    bristol city is my favourite out of all of them. being quite prestigious gets to me a bit so thats probs why i wanted to firm it initially. i still do. it's not too far from home but also a bit of distance so it wont be a dramatic change, social wise.

AAB offer:
    southampton course focuses a little too much for my liking on programming for a civil eng course. but i guess it's good transferrable skills to have with all computers in work place now adays. i havent been to the city. the only reason why i'm considering because of its 100% employment stat after 6 months and it gave me lower offer. after they gave me this offer i was considering this as insurance. i was in a position where my insurance would be higher, and now my insurance could be the same grade.

Having an insurance with equal or even higher requirements than your firm isn't as stupid as some people think.

Say you firm Bristol and insure Southampton or even Cardiff. On results day you get AAC or even A*AC. Bristol might reject you because they are full up with applicants who met their offer in full. However, either of the other two might have spaces and be happy to take you as a 'near miss'.

Bottom line is not to firm or insure anywhere you wouldn't be pleased to study.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ihatePE)

AAA offer:

AAB offer:

AAB offer:

Use your AAA offer for firm, but pick which one of your other two you like more for insurance. It's just a protection mechanism though

ReputationRep:
    Advice here on Avoiding 5 Rejections ; https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
    Advice here on making Firm & insurance choices :https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices

Read it all, carefully.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.