Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have no work experience in the field of Computer Science and IT. So I wanted to build a portfolio so that I could sell myself on my personal statement. Now the problem is that I am not that experienced in coding. I currently know HTML5, CSS and a bit of Python. I will be learning JavaScript within the next couple of weeks aswell. So How can I build a portfolio and what should I build? Please help... I have no idea how to get started or what to build. I've never built anything like this before so I will be a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e49877)
    Hi,

I have no work experience in the field of Computer Science and IT. So I wanted to build a portfolio so that I could sell myself on my personal statement. Now the problem is that I am not that experienced in coding. I currently know HTML5, CSS and a bit of Python. I will be learning JavaScript within the next couple of weeks aswell. So How can I build a portfolio and what should I build? Please help... I have no idea how to get started or what to build. I've never built anything like this before so I will be a beginner.
    From my experience of the CS application process I don't think a portfolio is required at all. I think the 2 key things they are looking for is a good maths ability and willingness to learn.

I know plenty of people on my course who had never coded before coming.

In terms of doing well in the interview, it would make sense to do a MOOC/online coding course to show your interest in CS and for something to talk about during the interview, but I reckon a whole portfolio is unnecessary. Of course it does always depend on where you are applying, but I think this is true for most CS degree programs.

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to University of Surrey. I want to be able to distinguish myself and give myself an advantage over my competitors. Apparently 2 in 1 applicants receive an offer. Do you have any tips for the interview process? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wanna tell you not to focus on the portfolio, but you might wanna spend some time looking at other areas. Looking at Surrey's set up, you will be using Java in your first year as your main language, so I would recommend getting familiar with it if you have the time.

In the interview, you will be asked why CS? Is there anything in particular that you find interesting or any areas of CS or tech in general? What do you want to do when you graduate? You can definitely fluff out a personal statement with answers to these questions.

Most unis assume that some applicants have zero coding experience, but it is possible that you might be asked how to code or pseudo-code a problem, so make sure you are brushed up on the basics. I was asked how I would write a loop that iterates 10 times and at the time I knew nothing, so that was interesting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.