Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Had my 1st driving test today at Liverpool Garston. Failed disastrous. Messed up the manouvre( reversing on the corne) as i went over the curb and as soon as i knew it ws a fail the rest of the driving became messy and nearly hit a parked car and the examiner had to take the wheel off me to avoid hitting the car. I just lost concentration coz ws so sure i wld do well wth the any manouvre but hell no it was the other way round as i did well on the areas i thot i wll struggle with. Terrified now to take another test.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay to fail and to make mistakes, you learn from them. It sounds like the reverse around the corner really threw you off your game and had an impact on the rest of your driving. Don't be scared to take another test, treat this one as a practice and work on the areas that need working on before trying again. In order to be a good driver you need to be able to put mistakes behind you and not let it affect your driving - you will make silly mistakes after you've passed your test and you will likely have close calls with other cars (I've had my fair share), and you cannot let those things shake you! In my opinion, it's better to fail because of a silly mistake than it is to pass as a fluke and be out on the road when you're not ready! I had over 70 hours of lessons before I passed purely because I wasn't confident! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It really threw me off indeed and ddnt like the way the examiner rushed me into it. I thot when doing such manouvre u give priority to any traffic oncoming or passing bt hell no he shouted tht i shld carry on as we hd no time to be waiting for the road to be clear of traffic. I dd understand wht he meant but its the manner he commanded it and tht sort of put pressure on me and i lost focus. Prior to the test had done that manouvre well although at a different place so yeh i felt hurt when i messed it up. As u said i wll learn from those mistakes and hopefully next time i wll do better. Fingers crossed!!

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me on my first test

I stalled and started rolling back down a hill in the first 5 minutes of the test and the assessor had to put his foot on the brake to stop me hitting the car from behind and the whole test turned into a disaster from there because I knew I’d already failed.

I then failed my second test with one major and two minors because I drove 25 in a 15 limit area (I didn’t see the sign and I didn’t even know a 15 zone existed).

I have my third test in two weeks and I’m still very nervous even though I’ve done it twice already. My main advice would be to just book another one - the test you’ve just done is the absolute worse it could have gone, any test you do now will be much better and you need to remember that.

I know it knocks your confidence but try not to let it affect you too much - just try again! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future17)
    It really threw me off indeed and ddnt like the way the examiner rushed me into it. I thot when doing such manouvre u give priority to any traffic oncoming or passing bt hell no he shouted tht i shld carry on as we hd no time to be waiting for the road to be clear of traffic. I dd understand wht he meant but its the manner he commanded it and tht sort of put pressure on me and i lost focus. Prior to the test had done that manouvre well although at a different place so yeh i felt hurt when i messed it up. As u said i wll learn from those mistakes and hopefully next time i wll do better. Fingers crossed!!
    Sounds like the examiner was a bit of an ass about the whole thing. You are right, you should give priority to any cars around you. For example, if you started reversing around the corner and then a car came up behind you, you would be expected to pull back round the corner and get out of their way. If you are reversing then you do not have right of way basically! He shouldn't have rushed you at all, and I would have probably put in a complaint about how you were being rushed and how the examiner was rude - no need for a complete lack of manners on his part!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.