Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    In the majority of cases yes. Not always. Particularly with international students, not all education systems across the world finish stages at the same time. If they have gained the overseas qualifications needed for UK university (as dictated by the uni admissions policy) then they can go, be it at 18, 17 or younger still.

Not gonna comment on OP's case because enough people have badgered them already...:rolleyes:
    if OP's doing gcse this year then he's expected to follow the same route as every student in the uk
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    if OP's doing gcse this year then he's expected to follow the same route as every student in the uk
    Maybe I should have put this bit in bold....
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Not gonna comment on OP's case because enough people have badgered them already...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahadarfaj)
    What is the OU
    The Open University, which is all online

ReputationRep:
    Oh thanks💓
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I am 15 years old in year 10 i want to do my gcse this year I know it will be hard but I will try my best, The question is can I go to university without a levels because after my GCSE I want to get foundations course then go to university is that possible???

Thank you
    Everyone has said no so far, so why are you adamant still? You asked a question, and received an answer. Sorry if this comes across as aggressive, it isn't supposed to. A-Levels are much harder than GCSEs, and you will simply not be able to study with a GCSE level knowledge. The foundation courses are for people who struggle with English, or whose A-Level grades were a bit too low. It would be like bypassing the SATs (at age 10/11) and going straight into GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11gharg)
    Everyone has said no so far, so why are you adamant still? You asked a question, and received an answer. Sorry if this comes across as aggressive, it isn't supposed to. A-Levels are much harder than GCSEs, and you will simply not be able to study with a GCSE level knowledge. The foundation courses are for people who struggle with English, or whose A-Level grades were a bit too low. It would be like bypassing the SATs (at age 10/11) and going straight into GCSEs
    Thank you all for all of the answers how ever I talked with a uni and the said yes because International student has another treatment.
    But thank you anyway for saying what you know.

ReputationRep:
    And just to clarify 2 uni said yes in London.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    And just to clarify 2 uni said yes in London.
    that being?

ReputationRep:
    No you don't have to with exception.
    Hiya, just wondering what exceptions you had in mind? Yes you are an international student but you're an international student who is now currently studying in the UK for their GCSEs. That means you are studying at the same level as other UK students and so simply skipping A levels on the basis that you are an international student is not enough for an 'exception'. You're not studying in a country where the High School curriculum is different to the uni's home country and so you haven't really got much of a strong argument to convince an admissions tutor that you should go here by skipping A levels just because you don't want todo them.

And saying you will leave in 3 years means nothing since you can just apply for a visa (like every other international applicant) so in this sense, again you are at no advantage in gaining a place without A levels.

If you really want to study here, put your head down, do well in your GCSEs and do your A levels/IB/Pre-U/BTEC.

Also on a side note, depending on the competitiveness of the course, you're already disadvantaged as you are applying for fewer places against other international students who would (most likely) be far more qualified than you if you were to skip your A levels.

I really do wish you the best of luck though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjam441)
    Hiya, just wondering what exceptions you had in mind? Yes you are an international student but you're an international student who is now currently studying in the UK for their GCSEs. That means you are studying at the same level as other UK students and so simply skipping A levels on the basis that you are an international student is not enough for an 'exception'. You're not studying in a country where the High School curriculum is different to the uni's home country and so you haven't really got much of a strong argument to convince an admissions tutor that you should go here by skipping A levels just because you don't want todo them.

And saying you will leave in 3 years means nothing since you can just apply for a visa (like every other international applicant) so in this sense, again you are at no advantage in gaining a place without A levels.

If you really want to study here, put your head down, do well in your GCSEs and do your A levels/IB/Pre-U/BTEC.

Also on a side note, depending on the competitiveness of the course, you're already disadvantaged as you are applying for fewer places against other international students who would (most likely) be far more qualified than you if you were to skip your A levels.

I really do wish you the best of luck though
    That sentence was supposed to be for a girl American working in NASA..

ReputationRep:
    That sentence was supposed to be for a girl American working in NASA..
    Oh sorry lol. But whatever I wrote still stands, that you really need to picture your application in the eyes of an admissions tutor: An international student who is studying in the UK is applying with no A levels for the handful of places we have for internationals.

If I was in your position i'd go with doing the A levels, it just seems like so much unnecessary risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulington)
    As has been said by others, foundation courses are designed for those that took A Levels that may not necessarily be related to their specific degree (or didn't quite make the grade for the non-foundation course).
    Not entirely true. For one I'm pretty sure you sometimes won't be let on the course if you have relevant A-levels but didn't make the grades.

Secondly you don't have to have A-levels to do one. I'm using my OU study to get on a foundation for example. Durham even let people without any quals do a foundation degree with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    Not entirely true. For one I'm pretty sure you sometimes won't be let on the course if you have relevant A-levels but didn't make the grades.

Secondly you don't have to have A-levels to do one. I'm using my OU study to get on a foundation for example. Durham even let people without any quals do a foundation degree with them.
    It depends on the foundation. I know some pathway to medicine courses etc don't allow it, but it can happen for others.

Realistically, you have absolutely damn near zero chance of getting into a university without further study, be that at level 3 (A Levels etc) or level 4/5/6 (OU study). OP with just GCSEs is essentially never going to happen.

When Durham say "No qualifications" that likely means "No formal qualifications but extensive life experience.", an eighteen year old with the ability to go to College/Sixth Form for free that is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulington)
    It depends on the foundation. I know some pathway to medicine courses etc don't allow it, but it can happen for others.

Realistically, you have absolutely damn near zero chance of getting into a university without further study, be that at level 3 (A Levels etc) or level 4/5/6 (OU study). OP with just GCSEs is essentially never going to happen.

When Durham say "No qualifications" that likely means "No formal qualifications but extensive life experience.", an eighteen year old with the ability to go to College/Sixth Form for free that is not.
    Oh I know I wasn't saying it was possible for OP. I never said that smh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.