Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im currently doing my A-levels, I'm doing Spanish, English and Biology. I'm considering studying economics with spanish at university, even though I don't do it at alevels. I've heard econ is a tough degree and that the maths is very hard in it and as Im not amazing at maths (I'm average), I dont know whether I should do it. (But the unis I want to apply to don't require maths at A levels) Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    if the universities you're applying to don't require maths A-Level, then that suggests that they will have adopted their teaching of the degree in that way! maths is hard at first, but it always gets easier with practise and you will definitely be able to cope with it in the degree as long as you have the right mindset and work ethic, which i'm sure you do!

if you want to study economics, then definitely go for it! any degree is challenging, but you'll definitely be able to overcome your difficulties, so don't let the maths sway you!

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule BA economics degrees assume less previous maths experience than BSc economics. Perhaps contact a dept you are thinking of and ask what maths textbook is used and have a look at it to put your mind at rest. If they dont require A level maths on entry, the course will assume gcse level to start with and build on it. Its also a good question to ask student reps at an open day.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blahmanblah123)
    Im currently doing my A-levels, I'm doing Spanish, English and Biology. I'm considering studying economics with spanish at university, even though I don't do it at alevels. I've heard econ is a tough degree and that the maths is very hard in it and as Im not amazing at maths (I'm average), I dont know whether I should do it. (But the unis I want to apply to don't require maths at A levels) Any advice?
    Well most require maths but the few that don’t have 2 modules that split the people that have done a level maths and people that haven’t
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.