Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I’m a current yr 12 student studying: maths, chemistry and biology. I was wondering if anyone has any useful revision tips or resources that they would recommend. Also how many hours of revision should I (realistically) be doing?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maths --> Jack brown on Youtube + past papers. You're welcome for the A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studio ghibli)
    Hey! I’m a current yr 12 student studying: maths, chemistry and biology. I was wondering if anyone has any useful revision tips or resources that they would recommend. Also how many hours of revision should I (realistically) be doing?
    Thanks
    Incredible animations studio btw, however KyoAni remains superior.

ReputationRep:
    Maths: Questions, questions, questions! Get yourself a whiteboard and print out past papers. If youre finding something difficult, start from the bottom and work towards harder questions. When you're studying for maths, it's not something you write and remember, so make sure to completely apply yourself, for example if music distracts you, work silently. Also make sure you take sufficient breaks especially in maths between sections, as it can get very tedious doing questions and over time your concentration will drop.

Chemistry: I can only speak for the OCR exam board, but with learning concepts I tend to write notes, but use colours. I don't type notes for chemistry as it can be difficult to get the equations up, and there isn't very many notes to write. Use CHEMGUIDE. Understanding of the concepts is critical for application to exam style questions, as most of the time it's not just factual recall. Of course, learn your definitions, but make sure you are aware of the tricks that examiners can set up in exams. Chemguide will partly help you identify these, but the rest comes from proper understanding of the concepts and trialling exam-style questions.

Biology: I do AQA Biology. Personally it's the easiest science to learn, but the exams for me are very difficult. I would strongly suggest doing past paper questions or the questions in the back of the book if doing AQA biology, and making sure to check the answers. Perhaps keep a word document of exam tips and common keywords that they search for. The questions can ber very obscure, but usually look for a certain set of phrases that will decide wether or not you get the marks. If doing questions from the book is time consuming, consider typing answers up and printing them off to put into your notes. This way you're still thinking about the question, but when you'll spend less time writing and when you revisit your notes, the writing will still be legible. If you can, try and do wider reading for biology also. Mind-maps, diagrams and quizlet tend to be more effective than writing plain notes with no colour.

For science subjects, I would generally advise not to type up notes as it takes away understanding and it's more difficult to scribble down ideas to clarify ideas to yourself.

In year 12 I got home around 7-8 and would study (with breaks and dinner) until around 12-1. This included all the other things I had to do as well, though such as projects etc., so I would aim for around 5 hours a week for each subject.

In general, make sure to keep an organised set of notes and stay on top of your work. Highlighters work a treat too. If you have a few £, treat yourself to a set of pastel ones, only if you like them of course

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the reply!!

ReputationRep:
    No worries! When I was in Year 12 I found there was very little useful advice on study tips, so I kind of tried around and saw what worked. If you need any more advice feel free to email me! Do you know what you want to apply for?
    (Original post by Studio ghibli)
    Thank you very much for the reply!!

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to medicine at a Russel uni, so gonna have to work rly hard in the time I’ve got.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.