Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the difference between Relative Formula Mass and Relative molecular mass Watch

ReputationRep:
    I understand RFM is for ionic compounds, and RMM is for no ion compounds.
    I read my chemistry books they both seem to say you do the same thing but you use RFM for ions. Im confused by this. Why do we have to learn RFM if it helps you get no extra info since you get same answer from both formulas. -.- pls help if you can thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngrySorcerer)
    I understand RFM is for ionic compounds, and RMM is for no ion compounds.
    I read my chemistry books they both seem to say you do the same thing but you use RFM for ions. Im confused by this. Why do we have to learn RFM if it helps you get no extra info since you get same answer from both formulas. -.- pls help if you can thanks.
    You make a decent point in that relative molecular and relative formula mass are used in the same way in calculations and so, in this sense, they are the same as one another.

The differing names arise because RMM clearly applies only to compounds where molecules are involved. Ionic compounds do not consist of molecules and hence relative molecular mass is not applicable here, hence the need for the different name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    You make a decent point in that relative molecular and relative formula mass are used in the same way in calculations and so, in this sense, they are the same as one another.

The differing names arise because RMM clearly applies only to compounds where molecules are involved. Ionic compounds do not consist of molecules and hence relative molecular mass is not applicable here, hence the need for the different name.
    Oh ok thanks, i was just confused. Thanks for you help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngrySorcerer)
    Oh ok thanks, i was just confused. Thanks for you help!
    I understand your confusion! The two values are, for most purposes, the same!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.