Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do u call someone who has an interest in learning new languages? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do u call someone who likes learning new languages and how does this link to international relations

ReputationRep:
    A polyglot I think? Don't know about the second part of the question tho

ReputationRep:
    Just call them by their name; you don't need to treat them differently to other people.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Linguaphile

ReputationRep:
    It links to international relations as it is hard to negotiate with e.g. China if one cannot speak Mandarin and cannot find anyone that can speak both Mandarin and English

Linguistic
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I assume this is for a PS.

I suggest that you say some babble about how your interest in foreign languages reflects an interest in foreign cultures, and then find some way to get smoothly from there to your desire to examine how different cultures, peoples, etc, interact as bodies at the state level.

As for the name, I assume you haven't actually mastered any foreign languages. In that case just say directly that you're interested in learning foreign languages. You could try calling yourself a 'linguist', probably with some kind of modifier, but you risk sounding pretentious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :D ABC123)
    A polyglot I think? Don't know about the second part of the question tho
    Almost. A polyglot is somebody that can effectively communicate using several languages, not necessarily the case for a person just 'interested' in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Almost. A polyglot is somebody that can effectively communicate using several languages, not necessarily the case for a person just 'interested' in them.
    Ahh OK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Linguistic
    Does that mean someone who is interested in automobiles is autistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maro122)
    What do u call someone who likes learning new languages and how does this link to international relations
    Polyglot I think

Second part is to do with UN and EU. Translating and Interpreting are really key to the UN and EU e.g. the main languages of the UN are: French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese and English, so they are really important to be able to speak/translate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.