Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am not going to study music at uni, but I love playing the piano. Do most universities let students on other courses use pianos in the practices rooms etc, or they reserved for music students (or just always full with music students practicing)? I'm also planning to start learning the organ, and so the same question applies for this instrument as well. I'm sure that this differs from uni to uni, but any knowledge you may have would be good.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe send the uni student services or music department an email? I'm also curious now
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonstrousColonel)
    Maybe send the uni student services or music department an email? I'm also curious now
    (Original post by SRACHMANINOFF)
    I am not going to study music at uni, but I love playing the piano. Do most universities let students on other courses use pianos in the practices rooms etc, or they reserved for music students (or just always full with music students practicing)? I'm also planning to start learning the organ, and so the same question applies for this instrument as well. I'm sure that this differs from uni to uni, but any knowledge you may have would be good.
    The music departments have a lot of expensive equipment in them as you may well imagine. As well as the uni' kit, students will bring their own often expensive cherished items like guitars, violins, flutes, microphones, headphones, etc. etc.

Much of it is delicate and an easy target for theft. Moreover, studio kit like mixing desks, sound systems and associated equipment are very high cost items. Mixing consoles, studio amplifiers, monitor speakers, recording equipment, microphones, sound proofed suites etc. run easily to +£100's K. A good music department will have several larger suites and several practice rooms.

So pretty much all music departments will have added security and only allow strictly controlled access to people in the music department who are then held responsible for ensuring appropriate use, damage liability etc., with stiff fines for breaking rules / misuse.

Apart from that, the studio facilities, sound proof practice rooms and all kit must be available for use at any time 24/7 by music department students. Demand is very high including overnight sessions. After all, they rely on it for their qualifications.

You may get very occasional access during quite times (good luck with that) if you can find a music department student who will sponsor you and accompany you at all times and is prepared to take liability for any damage, loss etc. This would normally be if you are a help to them because you are of use for ensemble practice as part of their course (assuming you are good enough). So it won't be like you get solo play time and jam whatever you want !

You may find the Student Union or a music society within the university (you will need to join), has access to a piano or a practice room which may be booked on a first come first served basis during selected times. But it won't simply be turn up and use whenever you want. Be prepared to book weeks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Some universities such as St. Andrews have practice rooms in the halls of residence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.