Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I joined a new school recently, first time going private, it was a bit of a shock!. Anyway I have made friends, comrades, acquaintances and compadres or whatever you want to call them. At school I do like talking to people but I'm very shy and so I don't project the most approachable image at times, I'm the guy who likes all the un-cool things in a sense. I can sometimes talk to people but usually they don't last very long as I can't think of anything that will carry on the conversation. I don't think my body language helps much either, so over the last week I have tried to read on as much stuff as possible to help me, so when I go back next week I can try to be more approachable. Has anyone got any advice? Sorry for the length of the post, thanks for the (if any) feedback!

if there's something that you're good at, like sports or art or being really funny, work really hard it and show your passion. they will flock to you like sheep. other than that be nice and don't try too hard or be cocky - it'll put people off. (i go to private school as well and I've been in the same boat)

ReputationRep:
    Smile first and foremost because nobody likes to talk to someone in a sour mood and just be yourself because it’s the best way to go talk about things you like to keep the conversation going and maybe they’ll like the same stuff
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Blaze the 420 before school and during lunch.

ReputationRep:
    How do you project a good mood? What's a good posture to have?

ReputationRep:
    This might sound random but people like it when you mention their name during the conversation because it shows that you've made an effort to remember their name so you come across as a friendly person

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.