Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to a course at st george and selected the MSci option instead of BSc. (Biomedical Sciences)

Is it harder to get into a MSci than BSc if so I still have time to change my options.

Please help!

ReputationRep:
    An MSc is a postgraduate course, you will need an undergraduate course (e.g. a BSc) before you are able to get onto a MSc course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hug_the_psych)
    An MSc is a postgraduate course, you will need an undergraduate course (e.g. a BSc) before you are able to get onto a MSc course.
    It was listed as a undergraduate, the same course BSc - 3yrs MSci - 4yrs
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hug_the_psych)
    (Original post by tigrisb)
    It's a UG masters, and shouldn't be any harder to get on to

ReputationRep:
    Look it up on unistats/which

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    It's a UG masters, and shouldn't be any harder to get on to
    Thank you so much! You’re 100% sure?

ReputationRep:
    some courses allow you to apply for a bsc and msc at the same time, so once you finish your bsc you automatically stay at uni for another year to top it up to msc standard. normally msc degrees require one or two grades higher than the bsc does however it should be easier enough to change course by email or wait until you enrol and then change
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! You’re 100% sure?
    Yes, it's common with Science, and also Scottish degrees

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's any harder to get on to, but it depends on the course and university.

For example the MSci Chemistry at my university is just like the BSc + 1 year with a year of extra units, whereas MSci Neuroscience is applied to in your 2nd year of the BSc and highly competitive, only space for around 8% of that year's cohort.

Be sure you want to go for the MSci, if you go to BSc there's nothing stopping you doing the BSc where you are and then doing a two year MSc somewhere else, allowing you to change after your first degree. But it's entirely up to you.

Speak to your university admissions and see what they say. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulington)
    I don't think it's any harder to get on to, but it depends on the course and university.

For example the MSci Chemistry at my university is just like the BSc + 1 year with a year of extra units, whereas MSci Neuroscience is applied to in your 2nd year of the BSc and highly competitive, only space for around 8% of that year's cohort.

Be sure you want to go for the MSci, if you go to BSc there's nothing stopping you doing the BSc where you are and then doing a two year MSc somewhere else, allowing you to change after your first degree. But it's entirely up to you.

Speak to your university admissions and see what they say. .
    Thank you so much! If i change my option on ucas track will it make a difference to my application or?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.