Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok where I come from, torrenting movies is perfectly fine and nobody bats an eye basically. But what concerns me is the letter I got from TV licensing a month into staying at UCL accommodation saying I was under investigation blah blah blah...pay for iPlayer blah blah, to stop investigation, call us and inform you do not need a subscription, which I did. So all that being done and said, I decided maybe it was safer to use a VPN? But the entire point of using torrents is to NOT PAY. Free VPNs either have a download cap, or don't support p2p. I know the fair thing is to pay but most things I torrent I would never buy and probably not re-watch. Furthermore I realise torrents aren't blocked on UCL's eduroam whilst they are for many universities. My question being, as you probably have predicted at this point, is it safe and sane to just (nakedly) download torrents using my password and username on eduroam? Will it actually get me into trouble and has anybody been in trouble for this before? I don't download TONS of things either so I don't think it would pose such a serious problem other than copyright issues of course. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks xx.

ReputationRep:
    Lol firstly torrenting stuff that has copyright and which you don't own is illegal. You wanna do stuff stupid stuff? Sure, doing it quietly. You are essentially stealing stuff and telling people about it.

Torrents are normally blocked in schools because P2P has the ability to **** up the entire network. You are doing yourself and others a disservice. Please don't say you don't download a lot of stuff. Just understand that even if you download a single file and if your client jams the network, it doesn't matter how much you download anymore. In your home country nobody cares? Lol that either means that you own your own network and use your own bandwidth or that people in your country don't use the network enough to notice your profligate abuse of the network. When you are in a school, notice that those two conditions do not exist.

Additionally, stealing is wrong everywhere, whether or not your country cares is inconsequential. Why in the world are you using your own country as an excuse to do fuxxed up stuff?

Further, imagine everyone doing the same thing with the same rationale as you had. You just need one bugger to throw things out of control. Seriously, ucl needs to ban people from doing this rather than rely on student's discretion. Some students simply don't have any

ReputationRep:
    Lol, for real?

Sign in to your university's network, identifying yourself in the process, then proceed to break the law... nope, can't think of anything wrong with that - go for it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ok got the hint, I'll just stick to surreptitious streaming. Great feedback.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.