Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am contemplating pursuing a PGCE in maths. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a place at a grammar school for your NQT year once the PGCE is completed? Is it even possible? I have seen plenty of grammar school job ads that say they accept NQT application. Is this just said to meet some kind of Government requirement and the actual possibility of attaining such a job is slim in reality?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you only want to teach in a grammar school?

But to answer your question - yes, it is possible and no, it is nothing to do with government targets. Just that grammar schools need staff just like everyone else and if that means taking on an NQT then so be it.

But keep your options open. Your PGCE will see you teach in at least two contrasting settings. You may change your mind.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeithOrton)
    I am contemplating pursuing a PGCE in maths. Does anyone know how difficult it is to get a place at a grammar school for your NQT year once the PGCE is completed? Is it even possible? I have seen plenty of grammar school job ads that say they accept NQT application. Is this just said to meet some kind of Government requirement and the actual possibility of attaining such a job is slim in reality?
    If your PGCE year goes well, the chances of securing a job at a grammar school would be very good. There is no Government advertising requirement.

ReputationRep:
    I taught in grammars since my NQT year and have been teaching in a few different schools. I have also recuited a few NQTs and also experienced teachers in the last 3 years.
    It all boils down to 2 things: can the candidate teach and is their Maths good enough. I believe that if they are decent at teaching and have the potential to improve than I will take the candidate that have more Maths, ie someone with Maths degree over someone with an Economic degree. Out of the last 5 staff I hired, 4 had Maths degree and one Engineering.

Due to budget constrain, many schools would take an NQT over an experienced teacher of similar ability or even slightly better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Why do you only want to teach in a grammar school?
    Well, I've shadowed a few state school teachers for experience in my local area, and the behaviour of students has been absolutely atrocious. Even in the higher sets, half the lessons have been marred by students messing around and distractions. Not to say grammar schools will be perfect, but I would
    reckon that students are more eager to learn and there are fewer disruptions; teachers actually do what they're being paid to do instead of being babysitters for a few hours to a bunch of 16-year-olds. A successful lesson being that you've got through an hour without a student stabbing someone.

But keep your options open. Your PGCE will see you teach in at least two contrasting settings. You may change your mind.
    Yeah, I will probably be assigned to schools in my local area which is an atrocious area, but to get my PGCE will just have to power through it.

Thanks for the advice! It's encouraging to know that Grammar schools also consider NQTs, so my desire to go through with the PGCE has strengthened. Ideally, the end goal is to become an international teacher of maths where students are far more keen to learn and study maths as opposed to most British students.
    (Original post by Mr M)
    If your PGCE year goes well, the chances of securing a job at a grammar school would be very good. There is no Government advertising requirement.
    Thanks! Encouraging to know that I stand a good chance of being accepted on to a grammar school role.
    (Original post by nts24)
    I taught in grammars since my NQT year and have been teaching in a few different schools. I have also recuited a few NQTs and also experienced teachers in the last 3 years.
    It all boils down to 2 things: can the candidate teach and is their Maths good enough. I believe that if they are decent at teaching and have the potential to improve than I will take the candidate that have more Maths, ie someone with Maths degree over someone with an Economic degree. Out of the last 5 staff I hired, 4 had Maths degree and one Engineering.

Due to budget constrain, many schools would take an NQT over an experienced teacher of similar ability or even slightly better.
    What would be my chances? Got A*A* at A-level for the two maths (IF this counts for anything) and a 2 in STEP I (would this be an advantage of putting down in my application or not?) along with a 2:1 in maths. Although I do it find it sad that NQTs are hired over more talented teacher due to budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeithOrton)
    Well, I've shadowed a few state school teachers for experience in my local area, and the behaviour of students has been absolutely atrocious. Even in the higher sets, half the lessons have been marred by students messing around and distractions. Not to say grammar schools will be perfect, but I would
    reckon that students are more eager to learn and there are fewer disruptions; teachers actually do what they're being paid to do instead of being babysitters for a few hours to a bunch of 16-year-olds. A successful lesson being that you've got through an hour without a student stabbing someone.

Yeah, I will probably be assigned to schools in my local area which is an atrocious area, but to get my PGCE will just have to power through it.

Thanks for the advice! It's encouraging to know that Grammar schools also consider NQTs, so my desire to go through with the PGCE has strengthened. Ideally, the end goal is to become an international teacher of maths where students are far more keen to learn and study maths as opposed to most British students.

Thanks! Encouraging to know that I stand a good chance of being accepted on to a grammar school role.

What would be my chances? Got A*A* at A-level for the two maths (IF this counts for anything) and a 2 in STEP I (would this be an advantage of putting down in my application or not?) along with a 2:1 in maths. Although I do it find it sad that NQTs are hired over more talented teacher due to budget.
    Limit yourself to Outstanding schools rather than grammar schools. I work in an inner city outstanding school. We have behaviour but not like you are suggesting.

ReputationRep:

If I was hiring,as long as you write an acceptable letter of application, fill in most of the application form, not even completed I would ask you to come for an interview with an intention of hiring if everything goes according to plan. The amount of badly filled in application forms that I had to read in the 3 years of doing HoD job could fill a filing cabinet.

I don't think it is sad that's NQTs have a better chance of gaining employment. In the current funding situation, I would want the money that the school pay out worth it. We were cutting photocopying cost, doing more cover internally, reusing 20ish years old textbooks then why paying a large amount of money for a teacher I would rate 8/10 when I could get an NQT that is 7/10. Especially in a grammar, the advantage of an experienced teacher such as behaviour management is not the most important criteria. Why don't you look into selective independent schools as well?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.