Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

THE unforgivable (unpardonable) sin Watch

ReputationRep:
    Many people ask about the verse in the Bible, Matthew 12 v 31 that says

Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

What does this mean? Some people are afraid that they swore or blasphemed God's name, or Jesus's name but it seems to go deeper than that.

In Jesus day the Pharisees wanted to rein in people's possible faith in Jesus being the son of God, so when they saw Him drive demons out of people they said But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, “It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons.” Jesus replied
    “How can satan cast out satan?

They wanted to attribute the miracles Jesus was performing to satan.

The bible says Jesus, knowing their thoughts, he said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. 26 And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand?

Attributing some evil to God or denying Him or, that good comes from Him is blasphemy. Again,

Matthew 12:31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

So the Pharisees committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because they were saying, ‘He has an impure spirit.’”

They purposely chose to deny God by attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to the devil, even though they knew the truth and had the proof in front of their eyes. Their blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was their final rejection of God’s grace.
    Mark 3,29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”

Today of course we can't see what the Pharisees saw in front of their eyes so we cannot blaspheme like they did.

The Holy Spirit is in the world today, John 16:8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgement

To wilfully remain unrepentant is to “blaspheme” the Spirit. There is no pardon.

Humanity today is without the same excuse as those people of Jesus day. By faith we can believe:-
    John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life

and

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

So the unpardonable sin for mankind in this day and age is the rejection of Jesus Christ as the son of God, saviour of the world.

There is hope for everyone. Look at Paul (formerly known as Saul).

1 Timothy 1:12–17 Christ Jesus Came to Save Sinners 12 I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, 13 though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. 16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. 17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory forever and ever. Amen.

So to knowingly, or wilfully, reject Jesus as God's son and to refuse His salvation by purposefully rejecting Him is the unforgivable sin.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.