Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So I'm a Portuguese student and I'm trying to choose which universities to apply to next year. My two choices were KCL and Liverpool, but I'm having doubts about it. For one, while I would like to be in London for all it has, it might be too expensive. On the other hand, the probability of being accepted there is rather low. I'm certain of Liverpool as an option, but I need a second one. I would like to apply to the best university possible with my grades (which is about Liverpool-grade I guess 😅), but being in a big city, with a lot of life, is just as important. I was told of Sheffield, but I don't really know how good that is. It is ranked like 20 places below Liverpool for physics. I have also heard of York, but it's a small city, perhaps too student-centered. Manchester would be great, but 100% out of my league (still don't get the astonishingly high entry requirements there, I guess fok Brian Cox?). Queen Mary and Royal Holloway were an option until I found out they're in the middle of nowhere. So I'm confused! Since I don't live in the UK, it's not easy to arrange a trip to any of the cities. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial offers a course in theoretical physics and has a great reputation for sciences. It is also in London. What are your predicted/achieved grades?

ReputationRep:
    Leeds may be an option, requirements are AAB and its a lively city, not too expensive

(Also Manchester has high grades because they have excellent facilities and research into physics, it's not just about Cox)

ReputationRep:
    Imperial would be even harder to get into than KCL.
    Since I live in Portugal, I don't have A-level grades, so it's harder to tell. We use a scale of 0-20 on exams. I have a 19 guaranteed in physics, and I'm hoping to get a 19 in maths too (but who knows). My overall grade is about 16 at the moment (I had trouble in the first year of high school, so other than specific subjects where I can take an exam - physics, maths, biology, grades are lower than I'd like them to be). Also hoping to up that to a 17 this year.
    Leeds, yes, it could be. How does it do compared to Sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget Edinburgh, good for TP and a big city.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, Edinburgh doesn't seem like an option either. (that was actually one of my very first choices) The entry requirements for Portugal are like 19 in at least three subjects with an overall 18 in the exams. I'm not quite there, and I'd imagine there's a lot of competition in these universities.

My current options are Leeds and Sheffield. Royal Holloway and QM were tempting but RH seems to be, as I said, in the middle of nowhere, and QM... well, not all reviews were very good. What do you think?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ixjf)
    Unfortunately, Edinburgh doesn't seem like an option either. (that was actually one of my very first choices) The entry requirements for Portugal are like 19 in at least three subjects with an overall 18 in the exams. I'm not quite there, and I'd imagine there's a lot of competition in these universities.

My current options are Leeds and Sheffield. Royal Holloway and QM were tempting but RH seems to be, as I said, in the middle of nowhere, and QM... well, not all reviews were very good. What do you think?
    Hi Ixjf,

I recently graduated from Royal Holloway, and I just wanted to assure you that we're not totally in the middle of nowhere! We're on a direct line to London Waterloo which takes about 40 minutes (going via Richmond and Clapham Junction so you're pretty well connected). The added bonus of being based where we are is that whilst you have all the connections of London and Heathrow Airport (a 10 minute drive), cost of living tends to be a bit cheaper than the main city and you always have a place to find a bit of peace and quiet.

If you did have any questions about living in this area I'd really recommend chatting with some of our students here. They should be able to let you know their experiences and answer any questions you have!

I hope that helps!

Summer

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.