Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically there's this girl I like at uni, we were flat mates in first year and I'm now in third year but my problem is I'm almost certain she doesn't like me that way. Just for context I have like no romantic experience having never kissed or asked out a girl and looks wise I'm hardly a "catch" to put it mildly. But anyway, this girl is probably my best friend at uni (I have practically no friends at uni) and she invites me round here house or out with her house mates about every other week or so (they were also former first year flat mates so I know them). However, she's the first girl I've ever felt an actual connection to in my life and for me I'm just impressed I've been able to form a fairly good friendship with a girl. I'm aware though that she has a pretty good social life without me and that what I might think is quite big, like she invited me out with her friends at a restaurant and sat opposite me (does that mean anything?), it's probably not a big deal to her as she meets with plenty of friends.

My problem is that I'm very sure I'm just a friend to her to and don't want to risk losing my best friend at uni by asking her out as it would be awkward if she says no and I hav effectively crossed that invisible line. But at the same time if I finish uni having never known I would feel regret as i said I'm doubtful I'll ever feel that close to someone again. Just looking for advice, if she asks me round/out again she pound I try and test the water a bit or just not bother if I can't see her liking me that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically there's this girl I like at uni, we were flat mates in first year and I'm now in third year but my problem is I'm almost certain she doesn't like me that way. Just for context I have like no romantic experience having never kissed or asked out a girl and looks wise I'm hardly a "catch" to put it mildly. But anyway, this girl is probably my best friend at uni (I have practically no friends at uni) and she invites me round here house or out with her house mates about every other week or so (they were also former first year flat mates so I know them). However, she's the first girl I've ever felt an actual connection to in my life and for me I'm just impressed I've been able to form a fairly good friendship with a girl. I'm aware though that she has a pretty good social life without me and that what I might think is quite big, like she invited me out with her friends at a restaurant and sat opposite me (does that mean anything?), it's probably not a big deal to her as she meets with plenty of friends.

My problem is that I'm very sure I'm just a friend to her to and don't want to risk losing my best friend at uni by asking her out as it would be awkward if she says no and I hav effectively crossed that invisible line. But at the same time if I finish uni having never known I would feel regret as i said I'm doubtful I'll ever feel that close to someone again. Just looking for advice, if she asks me round/out again she pound I try and test the water a bit or just not bother if I can't see her liking me that way.
    If you are best friends, it shouldn't be or feel awkward to be honest with each other. Just outright tell her or ask her and then you will get your reply - try not to be too serious and definitely do not ask in front of other people because a) embarrassing and b) they will torture her about it every bloody minute of her life

However, I do kinda think that you don't actually like this girl its just that because she is your first girl best friend (best friend who is a girl) you don't really know how to react and society is telling you that you should like her and whatever so that is sort of playing an effect too...?
    But just be open and honest and ask - state that you don't want to put your friendship in jeopardy etc. and then you will get your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebickers)
    If you are best friends, it shouldn't be or feel awkward to be honest with each other. Just outright tell her or ask her and then you will get your reply - try not to be too serious and definitely do not ask in front of other people because a) embarrassing and b) they will torture her about it every bloody minute of her life

However, I do kinda think that you don't actually like this girl its just that because she is your first girl best friend (best friend who is a girl) you don't really know how to react and society is telling you that you should like her and whatever so that is sort of playing an effect too...?
    But just be open and honest and ask - state that you don't want to put your friendship in jeopardy etc. and then you will get your answer.
    Agree 100%!

You can even ask her in a style of : what if I asked you out? She would understand.

(Original post by ebickers)

I think you may be right with your second point and it could just be anxiety over the fact that I feel I should be asking girls out and that she`s the only girl I`ve felt that comfortable with but its hard to tell.

I think I probably didn`t explain it that well in the first post but my problem is that whilst she`s my best friend at uni, I`m not exactly one of her best friends although we are still pretty good friends if that makes sense. Part of me thinks it would be really weird and sudden if I did just ask her out but as I`ve never done it before and therefore have no experience I kind of don`t know when the right or wrong time to ask someone actually is haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think you may be right with your second point and it could just be anxiety over the fact that I feel I should be asking girls out and that she`s the only girl I`ve felt that comfortable with but its hard to tell.

I think I probably didn`t explain it that well in the first post but my problem is that whilst she`s my best friend at uni, I`m not exactly one of her best friends although we are still pretty good friends if that makes sense. Part of me thinks it would be really weird and sudden if I did just ask her out but as I`ve never done it before and therefore have no experience I kind of don`t know when the right or wrong time to ask someone actually is haha.
    No one knows these things, it is always awkward. That's why, in my opinion, you should just ask her what if... and see her reaction. She will know that you are interested to ask her for a date, but still it is not like you are actually doing it. I think it is the golden middle.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.