Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I teach Computing (secondary school) with a Cyber Security degree (UK)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or would I need a pure Computer
    Science degree?

I'd still have all the knowledge that a good computer science teacher would need, just wondering if the degree title is important or whether it could just be anything related to computer science.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I mean, if you actually did well in you're degree I dont see why not. From my own personal GCSE experience (and everyone in my year group) our two computer science teachers were god awful, make a change and be a good teacher for computing please.

ReputationRep:
    Plus (i dont know about the new 9-1 spec) the old spec was bollo*ks-code some game, then bullsh*t for 50 sides of a4 about each and every single line of code. I know some schools do useful programming languages but we did scratch...for both courseworks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    Or would I need a pure Computer
    Science degree?
    You should be fine. The teachers in my school are so old they didn’t even do computing themselves. You just have to train to be a teacher and if you don’t have a degree you do a test on the subject
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ismaeel Ali)
    Plus (i dont know about the new 9-1 spec) the old spec was bollo*ks-code some game, then bullsh*t for 50 sides of a4 about each and every single line of code. I know some schools do useful programming languages but we did scratch...for both courseworks...
    Haha yeah, I remember from doing it a couple of years ago. One of my motivations for maybe trying teaching is that there seems to be a lack of knowledgable teachers (2/3 of them at my school are awful). Just out of interest, did your class actually get away with using scratch? I thought you were supposed to use a high-level text-based language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sint)
    Haha yeah, I remember from doing it a couple of years ago. One of my motivations for maybe trying teaching is that there seems to be a lack of knowledgable teachers (2/3 of them at my school are godawful). Just out of interest, did your class actually get away with using scratch? I thought you were supposed to use a high-level text-based language.
    Well i managed to achieve a B so i presume so. The rule is both courseworks have to be different languages...to get around that we used scratch for the first one, then BYOB (which is a kind of fan-made scratch with some differences) and were essentially the same. It really is a shame as i've started learning python (only the beginning) and its so much fun. It sucks we as a class didnt get that experience in school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    You should be fine. The teachers in my school are so old they didn’t even do computing themselves. You just have to train to be a teacher and if you don’t have a degree you do a test on the subject
    That's a little harsh. Until 2014 computing in school consisted almost entirely of teaching kids how to use Word and Powerpoint. Then the government shifted the goal posts and decided everyone had to be able to programme like senior developers at Google. It has been a nightmare for many computing teachers.

By contrast, you could probably take a maths teacher from Victorian Britain and place them in a modern classroom and they would still be able to teach GCSE maths without much fuss.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.