Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, Im thinking of applying to Exeter university, but ive heard rumours that Exeter is a sort of village area and doesn't have many clubs. is this true?
    what is it really like ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I live near Exeter, it’s a gorgeous city but it doesn’t have the hype or crazy night life that you may get in some larger cities
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi - I recently graduated from Exeter and had a great time.

It's a campus uni and so most faculties are packed quite closely together. The campus itself is very green and pretty and the city has everything you would need without being too hectic.

In terms of nightlife, I wouldn't say that the clubs themselves are anything special if you're looking for size and interiors. However, they are always completely packed with students, meaning I had a lot of fun when out with friends and on sports socials.

I did have a few friends who came to Exeter having lived in London and were initially unhappy with the difference in clubbing. Generally, though, people settled in and enjoyed themselves after having made friends during freshers week and joined clubs and sports teams.

ReputationRep:
    just a heads up though- I wouldn't put it down as a firm unless youre prepared to either be very stressed looking for a house second year or pay an extortionate amount of rent. Seriously- unless you want to pay 6.5k+ houses are signed for within 6 hours of being advertised. And if you start looking in december, well you're screwed. That's too late. The university will tell you there's plenty of housing for everyone. This is only true if you want to pay £150 a week or live in an outlying village and have a car. Their outright lying to you- A resentful second year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbynojeans)
    just a heads up though- I wouldn't put it down as a firm unless youre prepared to either be very stressed looking for a house second year or pay an extortionate amount of rent. Seriously- unless you want to pay 6.5k+ houses are signed for within 6 hours of being advertised. And if you start looking in december, well you're screwed. That's too late. The university will tell you there's plenty of housing for everyone. This is only true if you want to pay £150 a week or live in an outlying village and have a car. Their outright lying to you- A resentful second year
    You could have stayed in hall... Exeter has far more student accommodation on and off campus than most unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You could have stayed in hall... Exeter has far more student accommodation on and off campus than most unis.
    I couldn't- all of the university halls are reserved for first years to meet their accommodation guarentee for those who place them first. As for private halls, a few years ago this would have been an option however the university keeps taking more students and has booked out the cheapest ones (which was exeter one) completely to meet their accommodation offer guarentee. I think the cheapest one available to non-first years is £135 next year for an ensuite room on a 48 week contract. I wouldn't be quite so resentful had the housing problem here been made explicitly clear when I accepted the offer. I think OP deserves to know so they can realistically know whether Exeter is a financial possibility. You expect those kind of prices in London- ok, but not Exeter. And the university certainly aren't going to say.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't- all of the university halls are reserved for first years to meet their accommodation guarentee for those who place them first. As for private halls, a few years ago this would have been an option however the university keeps taking more students and has booked out the cheapest ones (which was exeter one) completely to meet their accommodation offer guarentee. I think the cheapest one available to non-first years is £135 next year for an ensuite room on a 48 week contract. I wouldn't be quite so resentful had the housing problem here been made explicitly clear when I accepted the offer. I think OP deserves to know so they can realistically know whether Exeter is a financial possibility. You expect those kind of prices in London- ok, but not Exeter. And the university certainly aren't going to say.
    Are you sure? I have several ex-students at Exeter - they are in halls and they aren't first years. You are the only person that i've heard having a problem ...

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? I have several ex-students at Exeter - they are in halls and they aren't first years. You are the only person that i've heard having a problem ...
    they'll either be in private halls- which they'll be paying through the nose for- or, if provided by the university, have a disability. You can get student accommodation in second and third years only if you have a medical condition which requires it. You need some kind of medical evidence and a doctors recommendation then there's an admin process to go through. They're ex students. The university keeps admitting more students year after year and the situations changed. Largely because the council limits new conversions of houses to student flats combined with rising student numbers too. 5 years ago you'd have- from what I can tell too- have been fine. not so much any more.

ReputationRep:
    they'll either be in private halls- which they'll be paying through the nose for- or, if provided by the university, have a disability. You can get student accommodation in second and third years only if you have a medical condition which requires it. You need some kind of medical evidence and a doctors recommendation then there's an admin process to go through. They're ex students. The university keeps admitting more students year after year and the situations changed. Largely because the council limits new conversions of houses to student flats combined with rising student numbers too. 5 years ago you'd have- from what I can tell too- have been fine. not so much any more.
    They are at the uni now and they don't have disabilities - they are in uni halls. I think you are scaremongering ... Exeter has far more places on and off campus than other places - some students can't even get a hall in their first year elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    They are at the uni now and they don't have disabilities - they are in uni halls. I think you are scaremongering ... Exeter has far more places on and off campus than other places - some students can't even get a hall in their first year elsewhere.
    a) no, this has been my experience here. It took me 4 months last year and a lot of stress to just find a place to live
    b) I know the system at this point. They don't let you stay in university run halls unless you have a medical condition requiring it. Are you sure they're not in private?
    c) You don't necessarily know if they have a disability which requires it. A lot of people keep it secret- not all disabilities are visible. I have a current housemate who was in halls for a disability second year. You would never know she had a disability unless she told you.

ReputationRep:
    Better luck next year.

ReputationRep:
    a) no, this has been my experience here. It took me 4 months last year and a lot of stress to just find a place to live
    b) I know the system at this point. They don't let you stay in university run halls unless you have a medical condition requiring it. Are you sure they're not in private?
    c) You don't necessarily know if they have a disability which requires it. A lot of people keep it secret- not all disabilities are visible. I have a current housemate who was in halls for a disability second year. You would never know she had a disability unless she told you.
    Well - you are wrong. I taught these students for a number of years - I know them well.
    Clearly you are scaremongering.

ReputationRep:
    FOrgot to say, I also know others living out in 2nd and 3rd year - NONE of them had any problems at all finding somewhere within budget to live

There are FAR more difficult places to find somewhere to live ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.