Turn on thread page Beta

Easiest way to get Level 2 functional skills maths? watch

ReputationRep:
    I’ve graduated from university and I am spending a year working as a teaching assistant until I can hopefully start a teaching degree, the only thing I know will fail my application is not having a C in maths, I got a D many years ago. Does anybody know the easiest and cheapest way to gain this qualification? All I’ve seen is a £400 course at a local college where it will be a 1 night class each week and take ages until the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dixxy123)
    I’ve graduated from university and I am spending a year working as a teaching assistant until I can hopefully start a teaching degree, the only thing I know will fail my application is not having a C in maths, I got a D many years ago. Does anybody know the easiest and cheapest way to gain this qualification? All I’ve seen is a £400 course at a local college where it will be a 1 night class each week and take ages until the exam.
    Anyone without a C in GCSE maths can attend a government funded class for free but you have almost certainly left it too late to start one this academic year. You may also find your local adult learning service offering functional skills maths classes with more flexible start and exam dates. If for example you were living in Buckinghamshire, Bucks Adult Learning would accept you and you'd be entered for exams as soon as you were ready. This would be free as you don't have GCSE grade C. You may find learn direct operate in your area and they could also offer largely self paced options with a chance for functional skills exams as soon as you are ready.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I know one of the learndirect centre (Intech Centre) in Islington, North London that provides the course for free. If you are unable to do the course, they also offer the option of taking just the exam with City and Guilds for £90. I did my Maths course with them, I was able to complete the course in 2 weeks and received my certificate the following week. I would recommend them as they were very helpful, they also offer flexible learning hours/days for those in full time employment or busy schedules.

ReputationRep:
    I needed mine to get onto my masters course. i self taught myself. the quickest way is to either sit it at a test centre with city and guilds 'on demand' which means you can sit it at any day or time. or sit it with edexcel they have entries for Jan Feb March June July Oct and Nov. you have to register at an exam centre approx 6 weeks before the date to sit the exam. I paid £100 to sit the paper based edexcel functional skills because i found there writing style clearer and more straight forward. If you are able to self teach then that is the best option imo.

ReputationRep:
    did you find any centre provided the above exam or course?

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.