Easiest way to get Level 2 functional skills maths? Watch

Dixxy123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve graduated from university and I am spending a year working as a teaching assistant until I can hopefully start a teaching degree, the only thing I know will fail my application is not having a C in maths, I got a D many years ago. Does anybody know the easiest and cheapest way to gain this qualification? All I’ve seen is a £400 course at a local college where it will be a 1 night class each week and take ages until the exam.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dixxy123)
I’ve graduated from university and I am spending a year working as a teaching assistant until I can hopefully start a teaching degree, the only thing I know will fail my application is not having a C in maths, I got a D many years ago. Does anybody know the easiest and cheapest way to gain this qualification? All I’ve seen is a £400 course at a local college where it will be a 1 night class each week and take ages until the exam.
Anyone without a C in GCSE maths can attend a government funded class for free but you have almost certainly left it too late to start one this academic year. You may also find your local adult learning service offering functional skills maths classes with more flexible start and exam dates. If for example you were living in Buckinghamshire, Bucks Adult Learning would accept you and you'd be entered for exams as soon as you were ready. This would be free as you don't have GCSE grade C. You may find learn direct operate in your area and they could also offer largely self paced options with a chance for functional skills exams as soon as you are ready.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Wills2018
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know one of the learndirect centre (Intech Centre) in Islington, North London that provides the course for free. If you are unable to do the course, they also offer the option of taking just the exam with City and Guilds for £90. I did my Maths course with them, I was able to complete the course in 2 weeks and received my certificate the following week. I would recommend them as they were very helpful, they also offer flexible learning hours/days for those in full time employment or busy schedules.
ELouise24
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I needed mine to get onto my masters course. i self taught myself. the quickest way is to either sit it at a test centre with city and guilds 'on demand' which means you can sit it at any day or time. or sit it with edexcel they have entries for Jan Feb March June July Oct and Nov. you have to register at an exam centre approx 6 weeks before the date to sit the exam. I paid £100 to sit the paper based edexcel functional skills because i found there writing style clearer and more straight forward. If you are able to self teach then that is the best option imo.
wilsabrah0208
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
did you find any centre provided the above exam or course?
Ashlea96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you find anywhere online to do it
Ashlea96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did you find anywhere to do it I’m in London and need to do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (450)
37.91%
No - but I will (88)
7.41%
No - I don't want to (82)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.77%

Watched Threads