Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hello Guys,

    I am struggling with the following question. I will be really grateful if someone can give me some help or guidance. Thanks in Advance

    Tina and Ed married four years ago. Just before the wedding Tina found out she was suffering from an irreversible medical condition which meant that she could not consummate the marriage or have children. Her condition has deteriorated in the last six months during which time she has been unable to work. She did not tell Ed about her condition as she was afraid he would not go through with the wedding. Ed has a daughter, Mary (aged 6) from a previous relationship who lives with Tina and Ed following the death of her mother three years ago.
    Ed has now told Tina that he is gay and he is in a relationship with Gary and wants to bring the marriage to an end as quickly as possible. He has told Tina that he wants nothing more to do with her and that as soon as the property is sold he and Mary will move out and there will be no further contact.
    Ed works part time as a charity fundraiser and earns £8,000 a year. Tina works full time a Deputy Head Teacher earning £50,000 a year. They live in a jointly owned property which they bought when they started living together five years ago. The property is currently worth £450,000 and there is a mortgage of £200,000 outstanding. Ed used £50,000 of an inheritance received from his late mother as a deposit on the property.

    Question 1. What options are there available to Ed to bring the marriage to an end?

    Question 2 : What income and capital financial orders may Ed and Tina consider applying for in relation to the marriage? Consider also financial provision for Mary
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 28, 2017

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.