Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Civil Service Fast Stream- Early Diversity Internship 2018 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Has anyone else completed the online tests for this EDIP yet? I did mine the other day but I can never tell how well I did on those sorts of things.

Anyone heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rleah1998)
    Hey,

Has anyone else completed the online tests for this EDIP yet? I did mine the other day but I can never tell how well I did on those sorts of things.

Anyone heard back yet?
    Did my tests a week ago, haven't heard back yet.

ReputationRep:
    I did mine 5 days ago, it says the pass marks would be figured out at the end of October so I check my emails about 60 times a day lol
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

FFS, why does the public sector have "diversity" internships?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
      FFS, why does the public sector have "diversity" internships?
      They need to encourage people other than middle class white men to apply for jobs in the government/civil service in order to have a more representative workforce and to encourage more people in minority groups to apply in the future - then maybe they won't need an internship

They need to encourage people other than middle class white men to apply for jobs in the government/civil service in order to have a more representative workforce and to encourage more people in minority groups to apply in the future - then maybe they won't need an internship
        Their requirements are one of the following:

- Be non-white
        - Be poor
        - Be disabled

Firstly, nowhere does it discriminate against men. The people it excludes are (exactly) the able-bodied white middle class.

I was under the impression that discrimination based on race was illegal.

ReputationRep:

- Be non-white
        - Be poor
        - Be disabled

Firstly, nowhere does it discriminate against men. The people it excludes are (exactly) the able-bodied white middle class.

Civil Service could be used as a stepping stone for those who want to go into poltics or diplomacy. Here is the demogrpahic of the Houses of Parliament:

Taken directly from -http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-for-the-new-parliament/the-new-parliament/characteristics-of-the-new-house-of-commons/-

"Women MPs make up 22% of the House. That proportion is higher than of judges or directors of FTSE 100 companies, but lower than of senior civil servants...
        The number of ethnic minority MPs has increased by nearly three-quarters to 26, or 4% of the total number of MPs. The first three Muslim female MPs have been elected, all of them Labour candidates"

Hence "middle class white men"

ReputationRep:

- Be non-white
        - Be poor
        - Be disabled

more taken from the parliament website

Name:  1.2 a.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  63.1 KB

Civil Service could be used as a stepping stone for those who want to go into poltics or diplomacy. Here is the demogrpahic of the Houses of Parliament:

Taken directly from -http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/research/key-issues-for-the-new-parliament/the-new-parliament/characteristics-of-the-new-house-of-commons/-

"Women MPs make up 22% of the House. That proportion is higher than of judges or directors of FTSE 100 companies, but lower than of senior civil servants...
          The number of ethnic minority MPs has increased by nearly three-quarters to 26, or 4% of the total number of MPs. The first three Muslim female MPs have been elected, all of them Labour candidates"

Hence "middle class white men"
          How deplorable!

But again, this internship isn't discriminating against men. Whether or not you think they should is irrelevant.

These kinds of diversity programs lead to ridiculous situations like this:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMzZtU5H7I

more taken from the parliament website

Name:  1.2 a.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  63.1 KB
            It looks like they should be discriminating against Uni grads more than whites, if actual diversity is your goal.

ReputationRep:
            How deplorable!

But again, this internship isn't discriminating against men. Whether or not you think they should is irrelevant.

These kinds of diversity programs lead to ridiculous situations like this:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMzZtU5H7I
            I don't 'think' they should, I'm just stating facts. Take a look at this https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...eam-six-charts

Men and women are equal in the workplace at the civil service but for jobs in STEM this isn't the case.

however, back to civil service, I still think it's a good thing that they're increasing opportunity for under-represented groups

ReputationRep:
            -
            You heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by DarkEnergy)
            You heard back yet?
            Gonna check my emails now 😶 have you? Deadline is Nov 9th so I'm thinking maybe we'll hear back then

ReputationRep:
            You heard back yet?
            Just checked and I haven't heard back yet

ReputationRep:
            Gonna check my emails now 😶 have you? Deadline is Nov 9th so I'm thinking maybe we'll hear back then
            Oh right, yeah I haven't heard back either

ReputationRep:
            Oh right, yeah I haven't heard back either
            Just called them up and the message says pass marks will be sent at the end of november

ReputationRep:
            just heard back! passed the online tests and now have to answer more questions

ReputationRep:
            Anyone else heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
            Nope

ReputationRep:
            Still waiting...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.