Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi all,
    I need some advice.
    I've beeen taking 5mg olanzapine for about 4 years.Long story short. I started tapering off two weeks ago.I'm aware of the side effects. I have difficulty waking up in the morning and I know this is caused by olanzapine.(zyprexa)
    Because of that I have constant worry that I won't be able to keep a job. I'm currently unemployed.
    On Monday I have a job interview.Do you think it's a good idea to tell my interviewer/employer if I get the job that I take AP and I can't wake up in the morning because in the long term he will see/understand that I won't be on time to work and he'll fire me or you think it's a bad idea.?

Thanks for replying

Please forgive me for any punctuation or annoying grammar errors as I'm not a native english speaker.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean at the interview?!

How big is the company? Do they have a HR department? You might be able to work out a compromise where you come in a little later and leave later in the evening, if that would help? Tbh I'd be wary of telling them exactly which medication it is.

You said you're tapering off so this may not be an issue much longer? You could try a less sedating AP such as abilify if you find you do need one.

Good luck with the interview.

<br>
    Thank you Sabertooth, I'll ask him for a compromise to leave some hours later in the evening.

Not at the interview , when I get the job and to continue working.

It is an issue, it may be withdrawal symptoms and from my experience when I was working and had stress from work this made things worse. Couldn't get up in the morning,fall asleep late, go late to work, and this in turn had bad outcome because coworkers made negative comments about me not coming to work early, sometimes felt very sleepy and they notice it ,I had a supervisory position was responsible and these negative comments reached tο the ears of the managing director and the outcome was to lose the job although he liked me and he gave me a recommendation letter for a postgraduate course.

I made big mistake that I followed doctor's advice and he gave me AP and AD. Took time to taper off.

I just struggle to get up early in the morning. Can't find something to solve this.

No HR , it's a small company 10employees max. Is that good or not?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    <br>
    Thank you Sabertooth, I'll ask him for a compromise to leave some hours later in the evening.

Not at the interview , when I get the job and to continue working.

It is an issue, it may be withdrawal symptoms and from my experience when I was working and had stress from work this made things worse. Couldn't get up in the morning,fall asleep late, go late to work, and this in turn had bad outcome because coworkers made negative comments about me not coming to work early, sometimes felt very sleepy and they notice it ,I had a supervisory position was responsible and these negative comments reached tο the ears of the managing director and the outcome was to lose the job although he liked me and he gave me a recommendation letter for a postgraduate course.

I made big mistake that I followed doctor's advice and he gave me AP and AD. Took time to taper off.

I just struggle to get up early in the morning. Can't find something to solve this.

No HR , it's a small company 10employees max. Is that good or not?
    I'm not sure how great an idea telling the company that you take olanzapine is even if you do secure the job. Sadly, mental illness still has a lot of stigma attached to it and psychotic illnesses can be seen in particularly bad light. I take two antipsychotics and often have to take time off my job to attend psychiatrist appointments and there's no way I'd tell the company I work for - I just say "doctor appointments" and leave it at that. I think this applies even more so if it's a small company, at least with a big one with a HR department the HR people would be the ones handling it and it would be less likely to get around. Since being in a work employment I've learned that people like to gossip a lot (even adults!) and the new guy being "crazy" would probably be a pretty good topic tbh. :unsure:

Of course, it is up to you. Personally, I would also wait to ask about coming in later until after you get the job; employers don't want people who will be a liability or who are weak and if you disclose that you have a health problem it immediately marks you out from other candidates. It is the law that businesses have to make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities (and mental illnesses count in some circumstances as disabilities) so I would talk to them about coming in later once you get the job. Interviews should be about looking your very best.

Might be worth talking to your doctor about trying a different antipsychotic though. Olanzapine is one of the most sedating and it's no wonder you're having difficulty getting up in the morning. You may be very surprised by how much of a difference a different drug can make. I used to take haldol and sleep until noon everyday, now I get 5 or 6 hours sleep yet have more energy than I've had in over 10 years. However, if olanzapine is controlling your symptoms well and you're otherwise happy then yes I'd say to try the work adjustments rather than messing with the meds. But if it was me, I'd leave that negotiation until after you know you have the job.

I hope this helps.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.