Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've started a degree at an LNAT uni for law (I even had an interview at oxford which I thought was crazy because I'm from such an economically deprived area and just applied on whim a month before...interview went badly though) and obtained a large scholarship from this uni I'm currently at but I'm dropping out because I'm not happy, I don't enjoy the course and don't want to be a lawyer.
    I achieved 7A*s at gcse (2 eng, core science, geog, hist, french, rs) and 3As (maths, additional science, d&t) and A*A*A for a levels (history, sociology, rs)

I honestly don't know what to do next. All my life I've idealised subjects and developed an interest in them based on my ideals. I've already taken a gap year last year and if I want entry for 2018 I'll have to submit an application by January as I just don't want to waste more time.

People say I should have done science a levels as I'd make a great doctor, my sister says I should do science a levels now to go into pharmacy like her because then at least I'll get a good job, others say to become a teacher.

I honestly don't know. I really enjoyed geography at gcse but my school didn't offer an a level. On the other hand I'm interested in psychology even tho again I didn't do it for a level but I think it's one degree I'm qualified for that will actually lead to a job, hopefully in the NHS.

I can't imagine myself being a lawyer because I hate corporate and business environments and I don't want that miserable lifestyle I've been somewhat exposed to already.

Psychology seems good for me as it's a humanity but also some science and working with people to help them (as opposed to the long and exhaustive and risky route medicine would be)

I just want to do something that interests me but also has good job prospects and I know my a level grades might be good but the actual subjects make me illegible for a lot of degree programmes that would actually lead to stable job

My mum says I should do whatever makes me happy but also something that will give me a job in the future, she says teaching is the best way to achieve this

My dad is just disappointed in me for dropping out as he always wanted me to be doctor and I didn't fulfill that so now I'm thowing away another great opportunity (law), and he now thinks education in general just isn't for me and it's best if I just don't do anything (I think he's just really mad with me)

Honestly don't know what to do. I feel like a failure because all my life people held me in high regard and believed I'd do something great one day. My grades reflect that but I feel I just keep making all the wrong choices and now I'm left in this position with no clue what to do whilst everyone else my age is achieveing.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    I've started a degree at an LNAT uni for law (I even had an interview at oxford which I thought was crazy because I'm from such an economically deprived area and just applied on whim a month before...interview went badly though) and obtained a large scholarship from this uni I'm currently at but I'm dropping out because I'm not happy, I don't enjoy the course and don't want to be a lawyer.
    I achieved 7A*s at gcse (2 eng, core science, geog, hist, french, rs) and 3As (maths, additional science, d&t) and A*A*A for a levels (history, sociology, rs)

I honestly don't know what to do next. All my life I've idealised subjects and developed an interest in them based on my ideals. I've already taken a gap year last year and if I want entry for 2018 I'll have to submit an application by January as I just don't want to waste more time.

People say I should have done science a levels as I'd make a great doctor, my sister says I should do science a levels now to go into pharmacy like her because then at least I'll get a good job, others say to become a teacher.

I honestly don't know. I really enjoyed geography at gcse but my school didn't offer an a level. On the other hand I'm interested in psychology even tho again I didn't do it for a level but I think it's one degree I'm qualified for that will actually lead to a job, hopefully in the NHS.

I can't imagine myself being a lawyer because I hate corporate and business environments and I don't want that miserable lifestyle I've been somewhat exposed to already.

Psychology seems good for me as it's a humanity but also some science and working with people to help them (as opposed to the long and exhaustive and risky route medicine would be)

I just want to do something that interests me but also has good job prospects and I know my a level grades might be good but the actual subjects make me illegible for a lot of degree programmes that would actually lead to stable job

My mum says I should do whatever makes me happy but also something that will give me a job in the future, she says teaching is the best way to achieve this

My dad is just disappointed in me for dropping out as he always wanted me to be doctor and I didn't fulfill that so now I'm thowing away another great opportunity (law), and he now thinks education in general just isn't for me and it's best if I just don't do anything (I think he's just really mad with me)

Honestly don't know what to do. I feel like a failure because all my life people held me in high regard and believed I'd do something great one day. My grades reflect that but I feel I just keep making all the wrong choices and now I'm left in this position with no clue what to do whilst everyone else my age is achieveing.
    Any jobs in schools and the nhs are stressful but if you don't want to go the corporate route it seems like the option for you though. You can do psychology without science a levels in some places. You aren't a failure, it's difficult to admit something isn't for you and your dad should support you rather than put his dreams on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Any jobs in schools and the nhs are stressful but if you don't want to go the corporate route it seems like the option for you though. You can do psychology without science a levels in some places. You aren't a failure, it's difficult to admit something isn't for you and your dad should support you rather than put his dreams on you.
    Thanks. I've been thinking about the MSc in clinical psychology that Birmingham uni offer (I'm from Birmingham) and was so shocked to find they don't require any specific a levels. The entry requirement is A*AA so I would be able to do it. Then apply for a doctorate course (3 years) to be fully qualified and work for the NHS. Do you think this is realistic?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    Thanks. I've been thinking about the MSc in clinical psychology that Birmingham uni offer (I'm from Birmingham) and was so shocked to find they don't require any specific a levels. The entry requirement is A*AA so I would be able to do it. Then apply for a doctorate course (3 years) to be fully qualified and work for the NHS. Do you think this is realistic?
    I think doctorates can be competitive but yes I think it's a realistic plan

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.