Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How does a Zero Hours contract work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for this job which has a zero hours contract - but I can't find good information online about what it entails (HMRC is rubbish).

It's full-time, I want it to see me through the summer holidays but if I don't get my uni this year I will work the whole year through.

Do I get sick pay?
    Do I get any holiday pay?
    How does the payment work?
    What are the maximum or minimum hours I can work,
    Do I get anything like a lunch expense?

Please advise,
    Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The1AndOnly1)
    I'm applying for this job which has a zero hours contract - but I can't find good information online about what it entails (HMRC is rubbish).

It's full-time, I want it to see me through the summer holidays but if I don't get my uni this year I will work the whole year through.

Do I get sick pay?
    Do I get any holiday pay?
    How does the payment work?
    What are the maximum or minimum hours I can work,
    Do I get anything like a lunch expense?

Please advise,
    Thanks!
    Sick pay - depends on the company, but probably not anything above the legal entitlement to SSP.
    Yes, legally you have to. Legally, they have to give you 5.6 weeks per year - but if you're only there for the summer, you won't be there for a year and so will only get a pro rata entitlement (eg if you're there half a year, you get half of 5.6 weeks).
    You'll be paid for hours worked. Some companies will pay weekly and others will pay monthly.
    Max and min hours depends on the company. If you want to work over 48 hours per week you have to sign an "opt out" for the working time directive. But if they have the hours available, you can work as many as you want.
    No, you won't get lunch expenses. You probably won't even get a paid lunch break.

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, most zero hours contract only pay you for the hours you actually work plus some holiday pay. Not aware of sick pay, expenses and so. These hours are not guaranteed. Some places also insist on you not committing to other work and can ring you at short notice to come into work. Good if you want flexibilty but not if you need a steady and regular income. Check your contract before signing. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.