Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've started a degree at an LNAT uni for law (I even had an interview at oxford which I thought was crazy because I'm from such an economically deprived area and just applied on whim a month before...interview went badly though) and obtained a large scholarship from this uni I'm currently at but I'm dropping out because I'm not happy, I don't enjoy the course and don't want to be a lawyer. I achieved 7A*s at gcse (2 eng, core science, geog, hist, french, rs) and 3As (maths, additional science, d&t) and A*A*A for a levels (history, sociology, rs) I honestly don't know what to do next. All my life I've idealised subjects and developed an interest in them based on my ideals. I've already taken a gap year last year and if I want entry for 2018 I'll have to submit an application by January as I just don't want to waste more time. People say I should have done science a levels as I'd make a great doctor, my sister says I should do science a levels now to go into pharmacy like her because then at least I'll get a good job, others say to become a teacher. I honestly don't know. I really enjoyed geography at gcse but my school didn't offer an a level. On the other hand I'm interested in psychology even tho again I didn't do it for a level but I think it's one degree I'm qualified for that will actually lead to a job, hopefully in the NHS. I can't imagine myself being a lawyer because I hate corporate and business environments and I don't want that miserable lifestyle I've been somewhat exposed to already. Psychology seems good for me as it's a humanity but also some science and working with people to help them (as opposed to the long and exhaustive and risky route medicine would be) I just want to do something that interests me but also has good job prospects and I know my a level grades might be good but the actual subjects make me illegible for a lot of degree programmes that would actually lead to stable job My mum says I should do whatever makes me happy but also something that will give me a job in the future, she says teaching is the best way to achieve this My dad is just disappointed in me for dropping out as he always wanted me to be doctor and I didn't fulfill that so now I'm thowing away another great opportunity (law), and he now thinks education in general just isn't for me and it's best if I just don't do anything (I think he's just really mad with me) Honestly don't know what to do. I feel like a failure because all my life people held me in high regard and believed I'd do something great one day. My grades reflect that but I feel I just keep making all the wrong choices and now I'm left in this position with no clue what to do whilst everyone else my age is achieveing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've started a degree at an LNAT uni for law (I even had an interview at oxford which I thought was crazy because I'm from such an economically deprived area and just applied on whim a month before...interview went badly though) and obtained a large scholarship from this uni I'm currently at but I'm dropping out because I'm not happy, I don't enjoy the course and don't want to be a lawyer. I achieved 7A*s at gcse (2 eng, core science, geog, hist, french, rs) and 3As (maths, additional science, d&t) and A*A*A for a levels (history, sociology, rs) I honestly don't know what to do next. All my life I've idealised subjects and developed an interest in them based on my ideals. I've already taken a gap year last year and if I want entry for 2018 I'll have to submit an application by January as I just don't want to waste more time. People say I should have done science a levels as I'd make a great doctor, my sister says I should do science a levels now to go into pharmacy like her because then at least I'll get a good job, others say to become a teacher. I honestly don't know. I really enjoyed geography at gcse but my school didn't offer an a level. On the other hand I'm interested in psychology even tho again I didn't do it for a level but I think it's one degree I'm qualified for that will actually lead to a job, hopefully in the NHS. I can't imagine myself being a lawyer because I hate corporate and business environments and I don't want that miserable lifestyle I've been somewhat exposed to already. Psychology seems good for me as it's a humanity but also some science and working with people to help them (as opposed to the long and exhaustive and risky route medicine would be) I just want to do something that interests me but also has good job prospects and I know my a level grades might be good but the actual subjects make me illegible for a lot of degree programmes that would actually lead to stable job My mum says I should do whatever makes me happy but also something that will give me a job in the future, she says teaching is the best way to achieve this My dad is just disappointed in me for dropping out as he always wanted me to be doctor and I didn't fulfill that so now I'm thowing away another great opportunity (law), and he now thinks education in general just isn't for me and it's best if I just don't do anything (I think he's just really mad with me) Honestly don't know what to do. I feel like a failure because all my life people held me in high regard and believed I'd do something great one day. My grades reflect that but I feel I just keep making all the wrong choices and now I'm left in this position with no clue what to do whilst everyone else my age is achieveing.
    firstly not everyone ur age is achieving, theres many in the same position as you. me for example
    what did you do on ur gap year? anything that interested u and such?
    I don't think its a good idea to apply to uni this year as it'll feel like 'wasted time' -a big mistake is rushing into a uni course, why not work a job for a bit?
    I think you should take ur mothers advice; being happy is #1 priority imo

(Original post by angrypoliceman)
    firstly not everyone ur age is achieving, theres many in the same position as you. me for example
    what did you do on ur gap year? anything that interested u and such?
    I don't think its a good idea to apply to uni this year as it'll feel like 'wasted time' -a big mistake is rushing into a uni course, why not work a job for a bit?
    I think you should take ur mothers advice; being happy is #1 priority imo
    I worked as a tutor for explore learning which i really enjoyed because i liked working with the kids

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.