Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying to Durham this year to study International Relations, however I am struggling to choose a college. I really love the look of the old colleges on the Bailey like Hatfield, however I've noticed 46% of first years end up in shared rooms and I simply cannot share due to medical reasons. Should I still apply to Hatfield and somehow notify the university of my medical condition? Or will they make me change college? Or should I just choose a less preferable college that has no shared first year rooms in order to suit my needs?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vbeltran1)
    I am thinking of applying to Durham this year to study International Relations, however I am struggling to choose a college. I really love the look of the old colleges on the Bailey like Hatfield, however I've noticed 46% of first years end up in shared rooms and I simply cannot share due to medical reasons. Should I still apply to Hatfield and somehow notify the university of my medical condition? Or will they make me change college? Or should I just choose a less preferable college that has no shared first year rooms in order to suit my needs?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    If you email them after you've met your grades and request a single room, and provide proof from a doctor, then you should get a single room. If they don't have enough available they might reallocate you, but it's worth a try. Single rooms are usually given to students under 18 and also students with medical reasons. I'm at Chad's which has even more shared rooms and I got a single for medical reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missbooradley)
    If you email them after you've met your grades and request a single room, and provide proof from a doctor, then you should get a single room. If they don't have enough available they might reallocate you, but it's worth a try. Single rooms are usually given to students under 18 and also students with medical reasons. I'm at Chad's which has even more shared rooms and I got a single for medical reasons.
    Also, would you say that living in a college on the Bailey is good? If so what are the pros/cons? Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vbeltran1)
    Also, would you say that living in a college on the Bailey is good? If so what are the pros/cons? Thanks for the reply!
    I love living in the Bailey - it's so easy to pop out and get anything you want from town! It's really pretty (living by the Cathedral is amazing) and ensures you don't feel isolated. It depends on what you're studying, but it's a massive bonus being close to the humanities depts.

I'd only say check where your dept buildings are before you apply. If you hate walking then being in the Bailey won't be good for courses like Politics/Business! My Politics seminars are 20 mins away The library is only 10 mins away from the Bailey though so don't worry about that!

The only other con I can think of is noise. Sometimes it gets noisy with building work etc. but it'll still be noisy with the bar and things like that on hill colleges. Also some of the residences for the colleges aren't all in one place - they're a 5 min walk away from the main college building. It doesn't matter - you just pop down the road after dinner, but I don't know if that's something to think about. I guess things are still that far when you're on the hill on a bigger plot of land though!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.