Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Criminal Law - Advice??? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Will grabbing someones neck and strangling them amount to ABH?

Or what charge will it amount to except the charge of S.21 as I have already used that so it cannot be used in this instance...

ReputationRep:
    I don't exactly because I live in NZ, but try assault, Wounding with intent, GBH with intent, any Stupification offence or disabling offence should also be the first place to look. Making someone unconscious is counted as GBH, so it depends how far the act went.

ReputationRep:
    It might amount to ABH : S47
    All you would need is the interference with a persons health and comfort: R v Miller
    And must not be wholly insignificant or trivial: R v Chan Fook
    It wouldn’t be S20 GBH
    As a wound is defined as where there is a break in the continuity of the skin: Moriarty v Brookes
    And an internal rupture of blood vessels will not constitute a wound: C v Eisenhower (a bruise basically)
    You would probably get petechia with the strangling but argue that the q is silent as to the effects of the strangling and is uncertain as to whether an actual bodily harm as occurred.

Most likely will be battery though. R v Ireland: unlawful application of force on the V by the D. Here all elements are fulfilled.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Reading this reminds me how boring criminal law is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.