The Student Room Group

Revision help for A2 Maths and science student.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student1600
Do you make questions from textbook/notes or from like exam papers and mark schemes?

For the flashcards? I usually make them from my notes! However it can be helpful to make them from markschemes as they can be quite picky at times. I make mine from notes just to make sure I cover all of the key points in a concise way.

Anymore questions just ask away!
With me I can get away with just doing loads of past papers for maths and chem is alright too because I understand it pretty well and I like doing the calculations but then with biology it's all content and I struggle to answer the questions. I can learn the content and understand it but just find answering questions difficult. Is there anything I could do?

Original post by yeahthatonethere
For the flashcards? I usually make them from my notes! However it can be helpful to make them from markschemes as they can be quite picky at times. I make mine from notes just to make sure I cover all of the key points in a concise way.

Anymore questions just ask away!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Student1600
With me I can get away with just doing loads of past papers for maths and chem is alright too because I understand it pretty well and I like doing the calculations but then with biology it's all content and I struggle to answer the questions. I can learn the content and understand it but just find answering questions difficult. Is there anything I could do?

Because bio is very content heavy just constantly going over flash cards helped me a lot to get the facts into my head.

Past papers are also very important. With biology they generally want very specific answers to get the marks such as having to say "enzyme-substrate complex" to get a mark. Practice helps you see and identify what they want you to say for specific questions. I know someone who last year went through a bunch of questions and mark schemes and made little model answers for a generic question so like they'd have "Describe enzyme activity" and made their own sort of little mark scheme that they memorised. This could be a good idea!
Ohhhhh okay thank you!!!
the mark schemes are so specific honestly sometimes I think I got the answer but it would be totally wrong but yeah thank you!

Original post by yeahthatonethere
Because bio is very content heavy just constantly going over flash cards helped me a lot to get the facts into my head.

Past papers are also very important. With biology they generally want very specific answers to get the marks such as having to say "enzyme-substrate complex" to get a mark. Practice helps you see and identify what they want you to say for specific questions. I know someone who last year went through a bunch of questions and mark schemes and made little model answers for a generic question so like they'd have "Describe enzyme activity" and made their own sort of little mark scheme that they memorised. This could be a good idea!
Reply 24
Original post by Nuttyy
I'm currently an A2 student doing Maths, bio and Chem. I revised for my GCSEs by reading over the revision guide the night before ( I have a powerful memory) and that worked for me.

The problem is that with AS and A2, it's no longer a memory game, rather about understanding it, which requires constant revision. But I don't know how to revise! Can someone who's done this before please lay out in how to revise for each subject and how many times a day. I will make a timetable accordingly and follow that.

Thanks!

Ok so i did the same A levels as you and now im at uni :biggrin:. This is what I did:

Maths
- made notes on all the different methods
- past papers about 1/2 months before the exam

Chemistry
- Made notes from CGP guide and class
- Made flashcards for the whole of chem using CGP i.e. small cards with a few ques and answers on the back

Biology
-Ugh hated this one - but same method as chem
- Closer to the exam i made A4 mind maps using CGP - 1 page per topic

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by kiiten
Ok so i did the same A levels as you and now im at uni :biggrin:. This is what I did:

Maths
- made notes on all the different methods
- past papers about 1/2 months before the exam

Chemistry
- Made notes from CGP guide and class
- Made flashcards for the whole of chem using CGP i.e. small cards with a few ques and answers on the back

Biology
-Ugh hated this one - but same method as chem
- Closer to the exam i made A4 mind maps using CGP - 1 page per topic

Good luck :biggrin:

May I ask what you got ;P
Reply 26
Original post by Nuttyy
May I ask what you got ;P

Um i dont really wanna say online but lets just say i got into my firm - grade requirements: met one, exceeded other and got 1 grade lower on the last
I finished A2 maths last year and managed to get an A*, here are my tips:

Yes, maths is about having a true understanding of all the topics required. Get your folder and at the front write or type out a list of all the topics and units you need to learn. Basically write out a checklist that you can easily refer to.

You know what you need to learn, I highly recommend ExamSolutions or Jack Brown (for MEI) on youtube to actually understand the content. Make notes and pause at the examples so you can have a go at the time. Put this in your folder and before you go to bed or when you have a spare 5 minutes just read over your notes from the video to rejog your memory. You should have a textbook with loadssss of questions so attempt these when you can until you feel 100% confident with the topic.

This is all you can do really until the last few months where you sweat out past papers, review where you went wrong and try again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending