Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I am currently in year 11 and in the process of deciding what a levels i want to do. I want to study medicine at university so im doing biology and chemistry but i dont want to do physics or maths because i dont enjoy them at gcse so it would be pointless at alevel. Therefore i was interested if geology was good for medicine as it is a form of science. The sixth form also offers environmental science but i dont know if this is respected by unis. Im also interested in economics but would this be better for medicine than geology/environmental science. However, i think economics is traditional so it might be.

Any responses on the comments I've made would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post😴

ReputationRep:
    You just need Biology and Chemistry. The other subject usually doesn't matter, if you think rocks rock, go for it.

Edit: doing a traditional subject is advised, you're right in saying Econ and Geology are. EnvSci doesn't tend to be, for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    You have biology and chemistry down so that's sorted. Some medical schools, such as UCL, prefer you to have something 'different' as your third A-level. Pick something you can get a A minimum in and also enjoy. Back in my A-level days I made the mistake of picking maths as I thought it was necessary, even though I hated it, found it hard and barely scraped an A at GCSE. Consequently ended up getting an E at AS despite giving it my all. Definitely do not recommend.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses guys. I am planning on doing 4 a levels so would geology and economics compliment bio and chem? Or would anyone recommend other a levels for medicine which arent physcis or maths? Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random_User123)
    Thanks for the responses guys. I am planning on doing 4 a levels so would geology and economics compliment bio and chem? Or would anyone recommend other a levels for medicine which arent physcis or maths? Any responses will be appreciated. Thanks
    Firstly I strongly wouldn't recommend four A Levels at all, there's no practical advantage to it and it just cuts your revision time for the 3 subjects that do matter down. No university asks for 4 either.

Physics and Maths realistically are the only two subjects with direct application to Medicine so if you don't want to do either of them, just do a subject you're confident you can get an A in - preferably one you enjoy, because medical schools do commonly ask about your other subject in interviews.

Of those two Geology is probably closer to Medicine as it is a science, but again, you'd need to be interested in it enough to make sure you get an A or higher in it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.