The Student Room Group

A-levels for Medicine

What courses for A-levels are compulsory to study medicine?
Is it true that you have to either study Physics or Maths for medicine as well as talking Biology and Chemistry?
Original post by Beenish1
Is it true that you have to either study Physics or Maths for medicine as well as talking Biology and Chemistry?

I’m no medic but I’m pretty sure Chemistry is the only compulsory one, Biology may be but if not it’ll really help your application a lot. Maths and Physics aren’t required but could help, most people just choice a subject they like the most for their 3rd.
Reply 2
Original post by Fonzworth
I’m no medic but I’m pretty sure Chemistry is the only compulsory one, Biology may be but if not it’ll really help your application a lot. Maths and Physics aren’t required but could help, most people just choice a subject they like the most for their 3rd.

Thank you for replying but people at careers fair have been saying you have to do physics or maths apparently i am confused.
Thank you for replying but people at careers fair have been saying you have to do physics or maths apparently i am confused.

A lot of aspiring medics at my college and on this forum aren’t doing Maths or Physics. They could be sort of beneficial but it’s definitely not worth taking them if your not passionate about Physics and Maths.

Different unis require different subjects

Some unis just require chem and some require both chem and bio ya need to research which unis you are interested in and see what subjects are required for that uni

Also, Cambridge require you to do all 3 sciences so physics may be important if you want to apply there
Reply 5

Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
Different unis require different subjects

Some unis just require chem and some require both chem and bio ya need to research which unis you are interested in and see what subjects are required for that uni

Also, Cambridge require you to do all 3 sciences so physics may be important if you want to apply there

Yes, afaik Cambridge is the only one preferring* 3 sciences (which must include chemistry and can include Maths or Physics).

It's not strictly a *requirement* but only about 2% of applicants without 3 sciences are successful.

For all others having 2 is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It entirely depends on the university you'll apply to. Some require only bio and chem and you're free to do whatever other subject you want while others might want more. Just check out a bunch of uni websites for entry requirements. I'm in year 13 now and a friend of mine is applying for medicine with bio, chem and English lit!

Quick Reply

Latest