Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When will I know I’m ready to learn how to drive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So since I was 16 my parents have been pushing me into doing driving lessons. The problem is I absolutely hate it, I get so scared when I’m on the road and I worry more about others and what they’re thinking than myself. Fortunately, I’ve stopped learning to drive for now until I’m ready. My question is how will I know when I’m happy to start again?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    How many lessons did you have? It just takes practice. I felt exactly the same as you, but after practicing I realised "hey, I just drove for an hour and didn't have any near-misses and everyone is still alive. I'm getting better."

ReputationRep:
    I’ve had about 20 and that feeling didn’t get any better. Although I mounted the curb when I was with my first instructor and he got really mad.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Learning to drive.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarnold19)
    So since I was 16 my parents have been pushing me into doing driving lessons. The problem is I absolutely hate it, I get so scared when I’m on the road and I worry more about others and what they’re thinking than myself. Fortunately, I’ve stopped learning to drive for now until I’m ready. My question is how will I know when I’m happy to start again?
    Hi there! :wavey:

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you
    :egg:

ReputationRep:

Thanks, I didn’t know there was a thread for it since the ‘select thread’ section isn’t really easy to navigate
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It can take a while to build up the confidence. I took driving lessons when I was 17 and loathed them so quit. It wasn't until I was 25 that I tried again and passed. Do you have anxiety or anything? Just with how you're thinking more about what the other drivers are thinking than yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    :egg:
    :dontknow::iiam::egg::iiam::dontknow:
    :dontknow::iiam::egg::iiam::dontknow:

Spoiler:
    Show

Post deleted by RoyalSheepy. Reason: Eggy eggy egg egg

Thanks, I didn’t know there was a thread for it since the ‘select thread’ section isn’t really easy to navigate
    No worries!

To answer your OP: nerves are perfectly natural, and every driver gets nervous before they hit the roads because anything can happen! But you've got to control those nerves and keep them to a minimum :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I’ve had about 20 and that feeling didn’t get any better. Although I mounted the curb when I was with my first instructor and he got really mad.
    Oof, with 20 lessons (I'm assuming 1 hour in length) you should be pretty much test ready (however I've heard of people needed over 40 lessons, so it's completely individual). It sounds like your instructor wasn't right for you. I almost took the wheel off going in a pothole and my instructor was really calm (although he did say he almost had a heart attack (jokingly of course)). Maybe try a different instructor and explain to them you're a nervous driver. They should help to calm you down.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Moved to Learning to drive.
    Just realised... You moved this at the same time :facepalm::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    It can take a while to build up the confidence. I took driving lessons when I was 17 and loathed them so quit. It wasn't until I was 25 that I tried again and passed. Do you have anxiety or anything? Just with how you're thinking more about what the other drivers are thinking than yourself.
    I suffer quite badly from anxiety among other things.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what it sounded like; I had the same problem. If you're not already, it might be worth getting treatment for your anxiety then learning to drive.

Another thing that might help: when I had driving lessons the first time it was in a manual car and I got myself so wound up worrying I'd stall at junctions and lights and that the person behind me would be annoyed so I would then stall and I just couldn't do it. When I went back to driving I tried in an automatic. I had 1 lesson and a few hours practice then passed my test without any problem. Probably gonna get people telling me that's avoiding the problem or "automatics aren't real cars" but for me it solved the issue entirely. :dontknow: Perhaps try an automatic until you get used to handling a car and worrying less what other drivers are thinking, then switch to a manual so you can drive both.

ReputationRep:
    Accept that you are not mentally equipped to drive and move on. No shame not to.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Well that there is your issue. Anxiety isn't entirely rational so even if you are ready it will be telling you you aren't. This is an anxiety issue more than a driving one so focus on improving your anxiety and eventually that will include improving your issues with driving.
    Are you getting any sort of support at the moment like counselling or therapy? If not I would suggest going and having a chat with your GP about what you are experiencing and what could help. If so, you might like to bring this issue up in a session. It might be that you can start focusing on it now, or that you wait a while so you can work on other things first, but it's good to have it out there.

Try not to mentally block yourself. You have no issues with driving- your anxiety does. You might want to take a break from it for now to avoid too much challenge or stress, but whenever you do go back to it just remember that anxiety is/ was the issue. When you go back to it you are doing so fresh with no bad blood between you. you were just collateral in a fight between it and your anxiety, but with less or no anxiety you can meet it as you and change the dynamic.

It may also help to start up with a different instructor in a quiet area or even an empty car park first off. It just gives you a chance to get used to the car again for a moment before tacking all the rules of te road and means you won't have a lingering reminder of past issues in the form of a driving instructor.

TL;DR You will be ready when you've reduced or taken more control of your anxiety. You will feel a bit more free and will be able to think "you know what? I'm ready to go for a drive." without that anxious feeling taking over.
    You might have to test the water a little or take some breaks, but you'll get there.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    everyone feels nervous. You won’t feel any different the older you get - I still felt scared after I’d passed my test. You’ve just got to bite the bullet.

ReputationRep:
    The more you put it off the more you might start wanting to avoid it. It's always said as well that you learn to drive quicker, the younger you are, as your mind is more perceptive to learning new skills. So if I were you I'd just get it out of the way. Most people are nervous and even scared when they first start, but it goes away with time.

ReputationRep:
    When you ask your self the question.

I dont know why you are scared. The instructor has brakes.

ReputationRep:
    Just realised... You moved this at the same time :facepalm::rofl:
    Do you volunteer to support on TSR?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyoustele)
    Do you volunteer to support on TSR?
    Yep :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.