Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi im currently studying for GCSE chemistry edexcel 9-1
    My specification says that an ion:An ion is an atom or group of arms with a positive or negative charge
    But my revision guide question on the meaning of an ion for two mark says: An ion is a charged particles formed when an atom or group of atoms loses or gains electrons
    Which should i use

ReputationRep:
    ion know

ReputationRep:
    Either should work but to be on the safer side go with your spec. If in doubt ask your teacher. I personally use the second but I did OCR GCSE and AQA A Level so your spec might want it different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HN786)
    My specification says that an ion:An ion is an atom or group of arms with a positive or negative charge
    I hope is doesn't say "arms".

They both mean the same thing. I prefer the second one, as it includes more information. But I'd go with the specification definition. Always go with the spec.

ReputationRep:
    The one from your revision guide.

ReputationRep:
    You could use either one. I assume your revision guide is the same specification anyway so it won’t really matter.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think i should say that the practice question in the revision guide was worth 2 marks if that helps anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoodPharaoh)
    ion know
    Beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    I hope is doesn't say "arms".

They both mean the same thing. I prefer the second one, as it includes more information. But I'd go with the specification definition. Always go with the spec.
    Yeah I'm really not sure some people saying do both some revision guide some spec so I just don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanel_666)
    Beat me to it
    You were so close only 4 hours late!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HN786)
    Yeah I'm really not sure some people saying do both some revision guide some spec so I just don't know
    The people who write the exam have their worked checked by the exam board to check it against the wording of the specification.

Revision guides are not necessarily written by anyone with anything to do with the exams or the exam board.

I could write a revision guide. That wouldn't make anything I wrote correct. It certainly wouldn't make it more correct than what the specification says.

Always go with the specification. If you find anything that seems contradictory* between the spec. and the revision guide, ask your teacher/us, but always side with the spec.

*in this case, there is no contradiction, like I said they are essentially the same thing, but the revision guide has more information in its definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    The people who write the exam have their worked checked by the exam board to check it against the wording of the specification.

Revision guides are not necessarily written by anyone with anything to do with the exams or the exam board.

I could write a revision guide. That wouldn't make anything I wrote correct. It certainly wouldn't make it more correct than what the specification says.

Always go with the specification. If you find anything that seems contradictory* between the spec. and the revision guide, ask your teacher/us, but always side with the spec.

*in this case, there is no contradiction, like I said they are essentially the same thing, but the revision guide has more information in its definition.
    Yeah so i guess i will use the second one i mean the revision guide i have is endorsed by the exam board but maybe i could combine the two so it becomes: An ion is an atom or group of atoms with a positive or negative charge formed when an atom or group of atom loses or gains electrons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HN786)
    Yeah so i guess i will use the second one i mean the revision guide i have is endorsed by the exam board but maybe i could combine the two so it becomes: An ion is an atom or group of atoms with a positive or negative charge formed when an atom or group of atom loses or gains electrons
    My only objection is that it will score no more marks than stating what the spec. states. BUT your version uses more words and would take longer to write.

I am, though, all for you understanding it to a deeper level than is required by the spec.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.