Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I’m currently in S5 studying my Highers This year I’m doing maths, English, chemistry, geography and modern studies! Do you have any advice on how to get an A in these subjects? (particularly maths and English)

ReputationRep:
    For maths just do what your told to do. This is surprisingly easy - make proper notes in class, get help and do homework. Don't waste your time trying to learn by reading/rewriting notes, maths generally requires a lot of example questions. Notes should be used to refresh your memory when you're stuck. Then over Easter just bash out 10 past papers and go over whatever you get wrong. Worked for me at Higher and Adv Higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Matthew01_)
    Hi! I’m currently in S5 studying my Highers This year I’m doing maths, English, chemistry, geography and modern studies! Do you have any advice on how to get an A in these subjects? (particularly maths and English)
    for english, try your best to do as well as you possibly can in your folio, aim for 25+ (don't be like me who screwed up the folio whoops)
    for close reading, do past papers and read newspaper articles (e.g. the Guardian, not the daily mail ), and try to be as specific as possible with your answers
    for scottish text, if you're doing poetry, just know your poetry well and memorise the poems or just lines from poems (basically a free 20 marks)
    and finally for the literature/set text, memorise quotes from your text and practise writing timed essays!
    good luck!!! you'll do great!

p.s. i did manage to get an A1 even though i failed my folio :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Study hard do lots of past papers and ask questions, I done Higher English and modern studies last year and this year I'm doing chemistry and maths for my second year. You can check out my GYG blog which has tips
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4998046

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.